Texas

I've refrained from buying an incubator up until this point, but I have started raising Icelandics who are prone to going broody and being excellent mothers so I may be hatching chicks before too long anyways. I'm even considering putting some quail eggs under a broody to see how she does with them.

I prefer the incubator. I have found brooding hens can sometimes be fickle and you end up with a chick or two and a group of rotting eggs. I would rather use the incubator and candle on day 8 and eliminate the non fertile eggs and move forward. The eggs that are nearly impossible to candle are FBCM because their shells are so dark.

I'm expecting my first batch of chicks in 9 weeks. Starting on the coop/run area. I'm planning to modify a carport cover and just today realized I needed to move it further north on our property and pad we are building for the coop (with overhang of roof + run area on the south side) so that I can get the southern breezes for the summers. I've been concerned about dealing with the heat and blowing rain. Man! we have had a LOT of rain this past fall/winter/spring!!!

I will be posting photos of the coop building process, etc. soon.

And btw I'm in northeast Texas,Titus county. I'm looking forward to meeting and welcoming advice from other NETx'ers who have dealt with heat issues in our area, because as we all know, "It's not the heat...it's the humidity". ;)

Hello! I'm from Palestine (close to the tyler area)! We have been haveing flash flood problems resently and I have had to move my coop. They seem to love there new location and have little to no watter problems.
welcome-byc.gif

Even my ducks are tired of the rain
yuckyuck.gif

I think we are all tired of the rain
1f613.png
Nope, not me
smile.png

Levelland texas here! Just 30 miles west of lubbock in the Texas panhandle. Just started raising chicks last year. Fell in love and this year I bought incubators. Lol yes plural. Only 2 though. Just enough to have some fun.
welcome-byc.gif

Oh my ducks are thrilled! So many mud puddles so little time!! LOL
X2

I'm expecting my first batch of chicks in 9 weeks. Starting on the coop/run area. I'm planning to modify a carport cover and just today realized I needed to move it further north on our property and pad we are building for the coop (with overhang of roof + run area on the south side) so that I can get the southern breezes for the summers. I've been concerned about dealing with the heat and blowing rain. Man! we have had a LOT of rain this past fall/winter/spring!!!

I will be posting photos of the coop building process, etc. soon.

And btw I'm in northeast Texas,Titus county. I'm looking forward to meeting and welcoming advice from other NETx'ers who have dealt with heat issues in our area, because as we all know, "It's not the heat...it's the humidity". ;)
welcome-byc.gif

I've refrained from buying an incubator up until this point, but I have started raising Icelandics who are prone to going broody and being excellent mothers so I may be hatching chicks before too long anyways. I'm even considering putting some quail eggs under a broody to see how she does with them.
I don't plan on hatching a lot due to a lot of factors. I'm more interested to see if I can create a self replicating flock. With the quail, I may end up getting a small incubator though, because they are a meat bird and the broody instinct is practically extinct. Putting them under a broody is more of an experiment.

Cayuga are my favorite duck. I am just reticent to own them with the amount of chickens I have and with two licenses already I don't want to pursue a third to have water fowl.

Cayuga are my favorite duck. I am just reticent to own them with the amount of chickens I have and with two licenses already I don't want to pursue a third to have water fowl.
I have chickens, ducks and geese and by far the easiest to care for are the geese. Chickens would come in second and the ducks, well they are actually my favorites, but they are messy and take a lot of work or the whole place goes to h... in a handbasket in a hurry. My operation is just for me and my pleasure and not a business like yours so I think I can be a bit more relaxed about their surroundings while still maintaining a clean one. But, while I can just rake up after my chickens and put fresh straw for their bedding once a month or so the ducks require an almost daily cleanup routine. And, while the chickens will leave a grassy run a desert in a hurry the ducks will leave it looking like a lunar landscape. My Cayugas though are beautiful, funny little egg laying machines.

Back
Top Bottom