Texas

Hey Frisco folks! My husband and I have found a house in Frisco and have put in a bid. I've done tons of research but can't find a definitive answer regarding chickens in Frisco. I called animal control but their not open till Monday. Soooo maybe you can help me out. What's the rules? The house is off 380, no HOA. We will have an acre of land to work worth. Major bonus....there is an existing shed on property already that I plan to convert into a coop! Yay!!!

Thanks in advance!
Here you go...from the Frisco Code of Ordinances. Note that there are also Sub-division ordinances that may alter the following...

worldlink.jpg
Sec. 14-17 Fowl
(a) It shall be unlawful for any owner or custodian of gallinaceous fowl to keep or harbor more than 12 gallinaceous fowl in one enclosure, none of which may be male.
(1) It shall be an affirmative defense to prosecution under subsection (a) for an owner of custodian of gallinaceous fowl to keep or harbor male gallinaceous fowl if the premises where such male gallinaceous fowl are kept or harbored is one acre or more in size.
(b) “One enclosure” as that term is used herein shall be held to mean any and all connected buildings, whether under one roof or otherwise, and buildings and sheds which may have entrances to the same or adjoining lot or lots with a gateway or other opening between them.
(Ordinance 08-01-06, sec. 17, adopted 1/15/08; Ordinance 15-10-76, sec. 2, adopted 10/6/15)

Thank you!!! So there is city, subdivision and HOA to check with?! Ugh!! They make it complicated don't they? Any idea how to find out about the subdivision before I go to the realtor?
First, I am not an attorney or anything so you should also be sure to double check. Your realtor should have most of this information or at least access to it. I did a quick review of the subdivision ordinances and they seem to be pretty much in line with the city. In fact, they seem to address requirements of developers more than purchasers. As for HOA. If there is no HOA for your neighborhood then anything that comes along after the fact would grandfather you in. So, it looks like you can have up to 12 fowl. No roosters unless you are on one or more acres but depending on neighbors I would be cautious with roosters even if they are permitted. Note that when you get around to purchasing your birds many hatcheries have 25 or 15 bird minimums depending on the time of year. However, Ideal Poultry, which is located south of Frisco in Cameron has a 25 dollar minimum...no number of chickens minimum. But, if you order in cold months they will include free male chicks for warmth during shipping. You would end up with more than your allowed 12 and a bunch of boys.

We are luck here. We only have about 4 acres but we are surrounded by hundreds of acres of cattle grazing land so our neighbors only moo at us now and then.

Best of luck with your purchase, move and new adventure as a poultry owner.

I have some weird birds.. I had a duckling run its chest into a bar, flop on its back, squirm to get up, and took off again. Then I had a Cockrell run to get some tomatoes and his sister happened to run in his direction with a tomatoes and they colided, got up, and took off in oposite directions

Back
Top Bottom