Texas

Well, the temps have dropped by 40 degrees in the last couple of hours. The wind is out of the north sustained at 40 mph, we can't even open the back door as the wind just blows it closed right in our face. Everything is expected to freeze solid overnight with morning temps in the sub-zero range.

Welcome to all you new folks and howdy to all you old timers from the middle of nowhere between Abilene and Coleman.

Well, the temps have dropped by 40 degrees in the last couple of hours. The wind is out of the north sustained at 40 mph, we can't even open the back door as the wind just blows it closed right in our face. Everything is expected to freeze solid overnight with morning temps in the sub-zero range.

Welcome to all you new folks and howdy to all you old timers from the middle of nowhere between Abilene and Coleman.

Yup - that's supposed to be on its way here in a couple hours. It was so weird to be doing all my yard and plant prep (and coop wind shield) to get ready for it freezing while sweating in my tank top. I swear I even got a sunburn. Crazy - poor chickens, I know they don't like these big temperature swings...

- Ant Farm

Do you let girls out in this cold temps in Texas? I can see mine were cold this morning after being out. They went in hen house to lay but came back out. I made them warm oatmeal and warmed their water. Should they be put up in hen house?

Do you let girls out in this cold temps in Texas? I can see mine were cold this morning after being out. They went in hen house to lay but came back out. I made them warm oatmeal and warmed their water. Should they be put up in hen house?

Where are you, generally? (Texas is big...
big_smile.png
)

Depends on the temps, but chickens do really well in very cold temperatures, much colder than you'd expect. If they're uncomfortable, they'll take shelter. My Naked Necks (several of which are still molting and have even FEWER feathers) were out roaming around as soon as the auto-door opened this morning, and it was below freezing for most of the morning (only 38F now).

(I did have to break the ice in their waterers this morning, though.)

- Ant Farm

Chickens, and all birds for that matter, seem to do really well in cold, better than in the heat. If you are West, Panhandle, North Central or North East it will get pretty cold in the winter. But, the chickens usually do pretty well even in really cold temps. Mine were out all day today running around like it was spring and out temps stayed below freezing all day. Their coop's are about 20-30 degrees warmer than the outside once they are all inside sharing their body heat.

If you are south or coastal you will be fine in the winter but you will want to make sure your coop is well ventilated to prevent "frost bite" even in the summer. Humidity is worse and harder for birds to adjust to then dry heat or dry cold.

Don't know about far east texas except that they also have pretty high humidity levels to deal with.

Birds have a natural ability to regulate their body temps so are able to warm and cool themselves within reason.

Also, you know that nice puffy down coat you have to keep warm in the winter. They have that built in year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalChx

Yes, we let the birds out when it is cold like this - most of the day the wind chill at my house was close to zero and they have done fine all day. Our guineas started refusing to go to their coop and started roosting in a tree down at the pond - even they were wall fine this morning and they and the free range chicken group have been running around as usual. I did not let my turkeys out of their houses this morning, but that was for my benefit. They get really bad some days about not wanting to go to bed, and I really did not feel like spending 30-60 minutes in the dark tonight trying to get them herded back to their coop. But they have been itching to get out and would have preferred to be out in their run. A wind break is important, either on their enclosed run or let them have the ability to free range and get out of the wind.

Quote:
My Naked Necks insist on roosting in the open air part of their coop, and refuse to sleep in their hen house. I did add this wind break yesterday just to keep the 26 mph winds coming at them when it was 29F. But in cold weather, even the two who roost separate form the others are totally fine. Of note, the roosts they are on are wide - sideways 2x4s, so they can keep their feet warm by sitting on them.

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom