Texas

We opened the C shaped egg, no yolk (my husband was disappointed, he really thought there would be two yolks). She appears to have taken today off so hopefully tomorrow she gives us a normal egg again!

So.. the last time I was here, I had a few chickens and a few ducks. All my chickens were killed by 2 dogs from down the road and my baby ducks were killed as well. For a while I had just ducks and one had some babies. I had 13 ducks up until yesterday, when I took a male to my sister in law. So I'm down to 12 ducks (still have 4 males I need to get rid of), and I came home from the next town over, with 17 little chickens from tractor supply. I'm also thinking about getting 2 geese..

So.. the last time I was here, I had a few chickens and a few ducks. All my chickens were killed by 2 dogs from down the road and my baby ducks were killed as well. For a while I had just ducks and one had some babies. I had 13 ducks up until yesterday, when I took a male to my sister in law. So I'm down to 12 ducks (still have 4 males I need to get rid of), and I came home from the next town over, with 17 little chickens from tractor supply. I'm also thinking about getting 2 geese..
I need to butcher a few ducks myself. lOL

I'm getting geese in the spring, how exciting! :) Geese would be fun and might scare off unwanted dogs, if they are mean enough.

I'm hoping! Today I have to go out and make my pen bigger, so there's enough room for 12 ducks, 17 chicks, and 1-2 geese lol
I free range - but I have a great pyr. She protects our birds. I lost a chicken since having her, but it was the chickens fault, she either tangled with a rattle snake, or the horse killed her out in our horse field. Great pyr doesn't go into the horse field.

I free range - but I have a great pyr. She protects our birds.  I lost a chicken since having her, but it was the chickens fault, she either tangled with a rattle snake, or the horse killed her out in our horse field. Great pyr doesn't go into the horse field.
I wish I could free range. Still waiting for my husband to get the supplies we need to build a fence around the property, then I can let them free range and then be able to put them in the pen at night.

I wish I could free range. Still waiting for my husband to get the supplies we need to build a fence around the property, then I can let them free range and then be able to put them in the pen at night.
I highly recommend a live stock guardian dog once you do get to free range them!

I highly recommend a live stock guardian dog once you do get to free range them!
great pyr's or great pyr mix are great dogs, for both family and livestock protector, but a word of caution........

be sure your fence is adequate. many great pyrs, think if they can see it, they own it......this includes other people's properties.

we have a great pyr, Antolian mix......he is a great dog.......super protective of all the animals, and super sweet natured to our kids and us...but he does like to roam, and our 50" high fence used to not do much to deter him.........

great pyr's or great pyr mix are great dogs, for both family and livestock protector, but a word of caution........

be sure your fence is adequate. many great pyrs, think if they can see it, they own it......this includes other people's properties.

we have a great pyr, Antolian mix......he is a great dog.......super protective of all the animals, and super sweet natured to our kids and us...but he does like to roam, and our 50" high fence used to not do much to deter him.........
We have the same mix, and ours doesn't wander, she doesn't even leave the 1 acre plot with a 4 foot fence. I walked around her daily around the perimeter as a puppy to show her boundaries, and I always called her back if a gate opened and she watched out and fed her a hot dog, when she came back.

I've been lucky I guess, that she doesn't wander.

We have the same mix, and ours doesn't wander, she doesn't even leave the 1 acre plot with a 4 foot fence. I walked around her daily around the perimeter as a puppy to show her boundaries, and I always called her back if a gate opened and she watched out and fed her a hot dog, when she came back.

I've been lucky I guess, that she doesn't wander.
kajira, that is great......just my personal observations with my dog.....and a few other folks as well.......

http://itsdogornothing.com/how-to-prevent-great-pyrenees-roaming/

I think them wandering is the norm, and you've been extremely diligent, and lucky in your training of your pyr....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia

A dog of this breed will patrol its perimeter and may wander away if left off its leash in an unenclosed space.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Pyrenees Club of America

They are large and must be confined in a well-fenced area, or they will exercise their powerful instinct to establish and patrol a large territory.

Back
Top Bottom