Texas

A friend sent me these pics, she lives about 60 miles from me. It's eat'en peafowl eggs...or at least it ate 1. Note: it's shedding.
IMG_24711.jpg

IMG_24721.jpg

:yesss::clap
Congratulations and nice little herd you've got there. You've got your bathroom back!
Lol, well it is now devoid of peepers, I have to clean it all up as my wife has assured me that will not be her job!

editing in a follow on post:

BTW these silkies are my wifes idea, so I sourced them for her after I was talking about repurposing a fence that blew over in a windstorm into a coop. Here are some pictures of the chicks, and last nights winds damage to a tree in the back that I need to put my chainsaw blade back on to take care of. My "guy" frequently throws the blade off it and leaves it for me to reassemble. He grew up without his father to knock him around so never learned to always recheck the tension on the chain after a big cut. I am so happy I grew up in my generation vs. what todays youth has on tap for educational, vocational, and empolyment oppurtunities.

Last photo makes me think there are 8-9 roosters in this clutch of 17.

Of course going to college didn't help my spelling at all, nor my ability to craft a sentence. Pictures coming:
IMG_3919.JPG
IMG_3922.JPG
IMG_3927.JPG
IMG_3931.JPG
IMG_3944.JPG
IMG_3916.JPG

Last edited:
We're spoilt for choice on the outskirts of Houston when it comes to finding birds and eggs. It really just depends what you're looking for. Craigslist is probably the best choice if you're looking for specific breeds.
I do sell eggs, but my chicken flock is mixed so they're mostly for eating and the occasional educational hatch - though if by chance you want bourbon red turkey eggs for hatching...

Hi,

I live in Tomball, Texas... which is near Spring, Cypress, and Houston.

Where can I get fertile chicken eggs or day old hatchings? Is anyone on here selling? Any feed stores that sell eggs or hatchings or supplies would be great too!

Thanks
Ideal Poultry.

I do NOT recommend wasting your time dealing with Houston's Craiglist.
I see too many people post wrong things when it comes to chickens on there.
If you do know really know chickens well you will end up buying wrong breeds and or sick chicken.

Not a defense of craigslist, but it's ALWAYS a case of "do your homework" with fowl regardless of the source - even Ideal was labeling their easter eggers as "ameraucana" until last year. From parties that aren't big-name-warehouse-hatcheries: get pictures (and do a reverse image lookup online to make sure it's not some stock photo), look at the birds in question and the parents before buying (if the seller doesn't enthusiastically show you their birds, don't buy - chicken people nearly always LOVE talking about their birds), quarantine before introducing to any existing flock. If there are chicks at a feed store, they also have a more than fair chance of being mislabeled (especially if it's a large chain, they're great about just tossing chicks into whatever bin is convenient). If you want show chickens, find that breed's 'club' online and get in touch with one of the top active members.

Sturgeon's Law applies :D

I'll add, please don't be offended if they ask to see pictures of your setup and flock. I have become so picky about who I want to sell birds to even when I desperately need to downsize. I've had instances where I've given a bird to someone and walked away with a bad feeling in my gut about what life I just dealt them, and it isn't a good feeling. I know everyone has different opinions on husbandry, but I don't think it's a bad sign if a seller wants to know the conditions they are sending their animals too. Of course, some people simply don't care.

I'll add, please don't be offended if they ask to see pictures of your setup and flock. I have become so picky about who I want to sell birds to even when I desperately need to downsize. I've had instances where I've given a bird to someone and walked away with a bad feeling in my gut about what life I just dealt them, and it isn't a good feeling. I know everyone has different opinions on husbandry, but I don't think it's a bad sign if a seller wants to know the conditions they are sending their animals too. Of course, some people simply don't care.
I love that you do this.

Back
Top Bottom