Texas

Yeah, yours act just like my best friend's. Mine are only maybe 10 feet from the garden and won't go near it. They don't go more than about 1 foot from the run fence. And all they do if they are on the outside of the run fence is poke their heads in and out of every hole in the fence from one end to the other until they finally find the door they came out of 5 minutes earlier which now magically eludes them
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
poor birds can't remember how they got there but sure try hard to get back. Maybe that is why they do not travel far, they know they can't remember the way home again. So are they dumb or really smart?? Both LOL

I gave Yin a call. She has SBEL eggs on order! She said they are "Leghorn crossed with Crested Cream Legbar".

I sell all of my Leghorn x Cream Legbar eggs for $3/dozen for kitchen use. I had no idea that people were ordering shipped SBEL's. What does the SBEL stand for? "Single-combed Blue Egg Layer"?

I have considered hatching a few SBEL's but their is never room in the incubator (which means there probably won't be room in the coop either).

I do have 4 breeding pens of pure cream Legbars right now. I am excited to hatch our next grow out group. I can start collecting eggs in 3 weeks. :)

Last edited:
I sell all of my Leghorn x Cream Legbar eggs for $3/dozen for kitchen use. I had no idea that people were ordering shipped SBEL's. What does the SBEL stand for? "Single-combed Blue Egg Layer"?

I have considered hatching a few SBEL's but their is never room in the incubator (which means there probably won't be room in the coop either).

I do have 4 breeding pens of pure cream Legbars right now. I am excited to hatch our next grow out group. I can start collecting eggs in 3 weeks. :)

I think SBEL stands for "super blue egg layer" wish i knew you had eggs i was through Marble falls last weekend! With the heat right now i dont have eggs shipped to me, I never have good hatches when its this hot i think they start to incubate while at the post office then the developing embryo dies during transport because the temp isn't consistent. I'll have to shoot you a pm if/when I go through Marble Falls again and maybe I can get some eggs from you :) I have tried to hatch one batch of shipped egg for Legbars but none survived the shipping :(

The poor thing; do you think you could have saved her if you had given her some sort of medication?

If i had caught it soon enough i think so. Put her down on a sunday evening and got the meds on monday, i wanted to try and hold out for meds but it seemed like she was suffering ( laying on her side gasping a gurgly like with her eyes closed) and figured she prolly wouldnt have made it thru the night, much less the heat of the day till i get home around 530

I think SBEL stands for "super blue egg layer"  wish i knew you had eggs i was through Marble falls last weekend! With the heat right now i dont have eggs shipped to me, I never have good hatches when its this hot i think they start to incubate while at the post office then the developing embryo dies during transport because the temp isn't consistent. I'll have to shoot you a pm if/when I go through Marble Falls again and maybe I can get some eggs from you :) I have tried to hatch one batch of shipped egg for Legbars but none survived the shipping :(

Yup super blue egg layer. You cross a high production bird, ie leghorn and a tinted layer roo. Can get lots a big colorful eggs from them!

Can anyone explain the differences between a lt brahma, a delaware, and a lt sussex? I see pic and even own a lt brahma and still cant tell them apart

Can anyone explain the differences between a lt brahma, a delaware, and a lt sussex? I see pic and even own a lt brahma and still cant tell them apart
Lt Brahma have feathered legs and Delawares don't. Brahmas have a pea comb and Delawares have a straight comb. Something about their hackle feathers but not sure. Not sure about the Sussex.

Last edited:
Those 3 really throw me for a loop...i figured leg feathers was a difference, bu never noticed the comb. Their colorings are so similar its hard to look past that

Back
Top Bottom