Texas

Awesome info, 7acres! THAT makes more sense. Maybe those Bastrop sheriff's officers had just moved here from somewhere way up north...
I do know that you cannot shoot a dog unless it attacks you. Learned that when the neighbors let their pit bull get loose and my wife and I were walking on our property. He caught the end of the chain as it started to go under the fence. I had already put my wife behind me as it was obvious that this was going to be nasty. I learned that you cannot shoot them unless they attack you, but you can report them to the sheriffs department and they are supposed to request that they be confined. If not, and they are aggressive again they can require that the owner confine them and retain a very large insurance policy to keep them in case of injury. If it is coming my way, I have a gun, I will not wait for the attack. A dead person cannot go to court and irresponsible people that have dangerous dogs usually do not have anything to sue and get. I figure if I kill it and get fined it will be a lot less than the hospital bill and pain of healing. Too old to run anymore

Question for everyone
smile.png
How do I get rid of the flock of pigeons
rant.gif
that make themselves at home everytime I throw out scratch for my freerangers
he.gif
When we lived in the Heights we had a huge issue with pigeons coming to eat the dog food. I bought three plastic owls and hung them in the yard and they never came back...

Good Morning!!

Has anyone seen this sick sick article on the GMO chicken:

http://www.newswithviews.com/Patti/edwards102.htm

Lisa :)

It seems the author is sensationalizing things a teeny bit. I didn't see a GMO chicken! The naked ones are selectively bred the other ones are just cornish cross. Unless you want to call selective breeding genetically modified!
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2307-featherless-chicken-creates-a-flap.html#.UhUPCtLOk0g
"The new chicken would be lower in calories, faster-growing, environmentally friendly, and more likely to survive in warmer conditions, claims Avigdor Cahaner of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He created his red-skinned chicken by selectively crossing a breed with a naturally bare neck with a regular broiler chicken."

There are even old posts here on BYC with the featherless chickens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/90146/featherless-chickens-just-had-to-post-this-pic/50

Last edited:
I found the chicken killing culprit a darn gray fox.
Legally you can protect your fowl and other livestock. Just don't keep the fur or carcass.

From the Texas Parks and Wildlife Website

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/hunt/nongame/

Fur-Bearing Animals

• Badger
  • Beaver
  • Fox
  • Mink
  • Muskrat
  • Nutria
  • Opossum
  • Otter
  • Raccoon
  • Ring-tailed cat
  • Skunk

• A trapper's license is required to take or attempt to take fur-bearing animals, except that a person who possesses a hunting license may take and possess a fur-bearing animal, provided the furbearer (or any part thereof) is not to be sold.
  • A department-issued CITES tag is required to be attached to all otters taken and possessed in this state.
  • A landowner on their own land or their authorized agent is not required to have a trapper's or hunting license if these nuisance animals are taken while causing loss or damage to agricultural crops, livestock, poultry, or personal property. However, such animals or their pelts may not be possessed or sold.
  • Fur-bearing animals may be hunted at night on private property with the aid of an artificial light.
  • There is no bag or possession limit for fur-bearing animals.
  • For more detailed information about seasons, legal means, and other rules for fur-bearing animals and their pelts, consult the Fur-bearing Animal Digest, available online, at TPWD Law Enforcement Offices, or by calling (800) 792-1112.
  • All hunter education requirements apply.

Bastrop county SO once said they would charge me with animal cruelty if I shot a pit bull that was INSIDE MY COOP, THROWING CHICKENS IN THE AIR!!

Well they either were misinformed or were abusing their authority.

Straight from the TX state website: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/HS/htm/HS.822.htm

Sec. 822.013. DOGS OR COYOTES THAT ATTACK ANIMALS. (a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:
(1) any person witnessing the attack; or
(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.
(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.
(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.
(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.
(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.
Added by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 678, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1989. Renumbered from Health & Safety Code Sec. 822.033 and amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1002, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Back
Top Bottom