Texas

Well keeping bees certainly can be a pain.
lau.gif

Crush and strain is messy but the good news is that honey doesn't spoil. If you have any wax moths or hive beetles a couple days in the freezer will kill any eggs. If you forget the honey frames in the freezer for a couple months that's fine too because it doesn't go bad. If you then bring them to the kitchen and forget them again for a couple weeks they'll be just fine when you get around to messing with them. I am very fortunate my lovely wife hasn't kicked me to the curb for the big bin of honey that was sitting on the kitchen counter for weeks (ok, months).

If you have access to a radial extractor that's a great way to go too unless you specifically want the extra wax to render for candles. Just make sure you leave enough honey for the bees so they don't starve out.

Thanks Erikk,

I have a radial extractor and all the gadgets, that is what so silly about it all. I bought a bee biz for a great price. I have read articles about people finding honey in the tombs of the pyramids, so yep I believe it does save very well. So does mustard I hear. he he
I agree with the messy part. We have not built a little honey house to do al this in either, and your wife lets you do this in the kitchen! She must love you lots. I keep the bees on the bottom portion of the property for the water nearby. They followed us up all the way to the top of the property driving the cart up a hill. We had to leave everything in the back of cart,if we had come inside so would they. Mine have never been aggressive in anyway so far, it has been a healthy hive on its own. Wish all my adventures in husbandry were so easy. They are my excuse as to why I must plant so many flowers in the garden. It's all for the bees ya know!

Besides......... Monsanto pisses me off and I want to help, even in a very small way.

Okay so update on my dominate boy, I let them out as usual and d boy was very nice, not aggressive at all but tried to do the wing dance in front of me. So I tried to do the "chase down" thing but instead of running he squatted for me and just let me pick him up. I have never had a rooster do that.

Even my top dog lets me pick him up, but he has been handled since he was a chick. He doesn't like it, and I can tell he is uncomfortable with it, but he will let me do it. Its good he is showing submissiveness to you. Seems to me that flocks are like dog packs. They recognize the "alpha" in the flock. In ours it sure as heck is me. And now in yours, it sounds like you are too!
lau.gif

Last edited:
Quote: That makes me sad! I understand why people what this, but I know my mom would be dead within a month due to her health issues.

Here is my rant: I just wish people would stop blaming and wanting what everyone else has and just learn to be happy with what they have. If you are not happy, work to change it but don't try to blame and take it from others. No one "owes" anyone anything. Just sad! I think the change comes from within, be the change you want to see, raise your kids right or if you don't have kids, treat others the way you want to be treated (well do that if you have kids also
wink.png
). Stop being so judgmental, everyone is different and comes from a different place, if you don't like what someone has to say, blow it off if it is not hurting you. If it does hurt you then stand up and fight (I mean really hurt, not just hurt your feelings)

What is the saying "The world would be a lot cleaner if everyone swept their own porch first"? Something like that. I like you guys on this thread
hugs.gif
You guys think like me!

That makes me sad! I understand why people what this, but I know my mom would be dead within a month due to her health issues.

Here is my rant: I just wish people would stop blaming and wanting what everyone else has and just learn to be happy with what they have. If you are not happy, work to change it but don't try to blame and take it from others. No one "owes" anyone anything. Just sad! I think the change comes from within, be the change you want to see, raise your kids right or if you don't have kids, treat others the way you want to be treated (well do that if you have kids also
wink.png
). Stop being so judgmental, everyone is different and comes from a different place, if you don't like what someone has to say, blow it off if it is not hurting you. If it does hurt you then stand up and fight (I mean really hurt, not just hurt your feelings)

What is the saying "The world would be a lot cleaner if everyone swept their own porch first"? Something like that. I like you guys on this thread
hugs.gif
You guys think like me!

I just said be the change you want to see. I was just wishing for less violence and media effecting others around me and the children. I like you. Am I missing something?

Years ago I bought a Readers Digest book called "Back to Basics" and it has just about any old timey skill instructions you can think of. People laughed at me. I let them laugh, then added that when the "$h!t hits the fan" it won't be seem so funny!

I LOVE researching on the internet but I also have basic skill books just in case there is no internet someday.

Who watches Les Stroud, The Survivor Man?? I love that guy because he's the real deal! He has a new show out, too on the Science channel. I think the one on tomorrow is about drinking water.

Quote: Yep, was "copying' that
big_smile.png
The world is a crazy place, but also a wonderful amazing place. Anyone read "One Moment After"? I thought an EMP would be a good thing until I read what the reality could be. I mean, not checking in with my BYC would just be devastating!!! Like, o'h my gosh, I would like miss you guys to much
lau.gif
Like for real!

Not sure if you are disagreeing with me. When I say we are all equal, I just mean that we are all born naked and illiterate and we each have difficulties and obstacles to overcome. But we all have the choice to let our condition dictate our furture or choose to decide who we will become. If you don't believe me, you need to watch Nick Vujici.

Jungleexplorer, we may have all been born naked and illiterate, but many of us have a distinct advantage. Your mother made sure you could read, which meant she valued reading. The child born in poverty from parents who are illiterate and with a poor vocabulary has so many obstacles to overcome to ever be on equal footing to white middle class American children. I was born with a decided advantage--both my parents were university educated, which is unusual for people born in the 20s. It is not a matter of choice.

Yep, was "copying' that
big_smile.png
The world is a crazy place, but also a wonderful amazing place. Anyone read "One Moment After"? I thought an EMP would be a good thing until I read what the reality could be. I mean, not checking in with my BYC would just be devastating!!! Like, o'h my gosh, I would like miss you guys to much
lau.gif
Like for real!
X2
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom