Texas

Quote: All of the above people may be poor for a little bit but if any of them have character they will get to a better place. They may never be millionaires, may have to sell everything they own, will have to adjust to a different lifestyle but getting paid for good hard honest work, is nothing to be ashamed of. As long as you have shelter and food to eat, you are not truly poor, just varying degrees of rich!

Mandy - I totally agree with you!! I grew up in a poor family. There were 5 kids and my step dad was in construction. For the most part, I was never in the same school more than one year. I am pretty introverted and shy but had to learn how to overcome that. I have done everything in my power to make sure my kids didn't go without like I did. That is why I went to school to be a nurse and am still continuing my education to get a masters. I have worked nights so I can be there when they go to school and get home. My kids are much older than yours but I know what you mean!!!

I went through my last two years of school with a kid. I walked an ungodly distance into school 9 mos pregnant with my first son. Had to have my mom watch him so I could go to class. Forgo having "fun", I had responsibilities to my husband and son. So I worked my butt off. I can't say it was easy; it sucked sometimes. And sometimes I feel like my education was wasted. But I can make a mean batch of 'shine, and I know a lot about the chemicals in pesticides and fertilizers. And when my kids get a little older I will be able to help them with their homework (I better, I had to take 3 calculus classes in school). And every time I hear how wonderful my kids are, how well beahved, polite and smart they are, I am paid back tenfold.

Last edited:
On a lighter note, I have some chicken questions.

I'm very new to chickens, my oldest group from a hatchery are only 6 months old. This group is all breeds that are not good for free ranging, with the exception of the mystery chick that turned out to be a bantam Plymouth Rock pullet. I have some Polish, Silkies and a double frizzle Cochin pullet and cockerel. The double-copy frizzles has really lousy feathering, especially the cockerel. Up until yesterday, I didn't think about rainy weather and cold. Big duh moment.
he.gif

Originally, I was intending to keep them in tractors and move them around but realize they just aren't all that happy kept that way so they will be out in a yard that I am trying to make raptor unfriendly. I also will be putting up a big aviary that I brought with me from the Caribbean that is in pieces on the ground. It was made by a local welding shop in the Caribbean, so you can imagine what a mess it is going to be to try to reassemble.

I'll eventually rotate them through the two 20 x 8 ' x 8' parrot aviaries, the 24' x 8' aviary that is in pieces and the fenced garden. All will have covers to make them raptor proof but not water proof. Right now, the grass in the parrot aviaries is a mess--I need it to recover--so they are not in that.

How do Silkies deal with rain and colder weather? I'm in the Hill Country near San Antonio.

Does everyone let their chickens out in the rain? I have a free ranging group of Ameraucanas that are 5.5 months old.

Thanks for your advice.

I don't know about Silkies. Mine are all RIRs, NHRs and a Leghorn. The chicks are all JGs which are cold weather resistant. My birds have a covered area, they choose to be silly and stand in the rain. I guess they like it! If you give them some kind of cover for the winter, you might have to get a heater for the Hill Country, but it doesn't get all that much below freezing most of the winter, even there. Here it doesn't even freeze but one or two days a year. Amazing the difference a little elevation can have on the weather.

So far I am impressed with these babies. They came from a private supplier in NM. They are VERY active running around the brooder. Drinking good, though they have yet to discover the food.
CUTE!!!

I went through my last two years of school with a kid. I walked an ungodly distance into school 9 mos pregnant with my first son. Had to have my mom watch him so I could go to class. Forgo having "fun", I had responsibilities to my husband and son. So I worked my butt off. I can't say it was easy; it sucked sometimes. And sometimes I feel like my education was wasted. But I can make a mean batch of 'shine, and I know a lot about the chemicals in pesticides and fertilizers. And when my kids get a little older I will be able to help them with their homework (I better, I had to take 3 calculus classes in school). And every time I hear how wonderful my kids are, how well beahved, polite and smart they are, I am paid back tenfold.
thumbsup.gif
I always received compliments from the doctor/dentist when I would go for my appointment with my children. They stayed out front while I went to the back. They were well-behaved and quiet. They would ask me, 'How do you do that?'. It is called discipline!

I'm very new to chickens, my oldest group from a hatchery are only 6 months old. This group is all breeds that are not good for free ranging, with the exception of the mystery chick that turned out to be a bantam Plymouth Rock pullet. I have some Polish, Silkies and a double frizzle Cochin pullet and cockerel. The double-copy frizzles has really lousy feathering, especially the cockerel. Up until yesterday, I didn't think about rainy weather and cold. Big duh moment.
he.gif

Originally, I was intending to keep them in tractors and move them around but realize they just aren't all that happy kept that way so they will be out in a yard that I am trying to make raptor unfriendly. I also will be putting up a big aviary that I brought with me from the Caribbean that is in pieces on the ground. It was made by a local welding shop in the Caribbean, so you can imagine what a mess it is going to be to try to reassemble.

I'll eventually rotate them through the two 20 x 8 ' x 8' parrot aviaries, the 24' x 8' aviary that is in pieces and the fenced garden. All will have covers to make them raptor proof but not water proof. Right now, the grass in the parrot aviaries is a mess--I need it to recover--so they are not in that.

How do Silkies deal with rain and colder weather? I'm in the Hill Country near San Antonio.

Does everyone let their chickens out in the rain? I have a free ranging group of Ameraucanas that are 5.5 months old.

Thanks for your advice.
My flock love it out in the rain. That is a good time for them to forage for bugs and worms. The rain also helps keep their little fluffy bottoms clean!

Side note: I RECEIVED 1/2" OF RAIN!!!!
yesss.gif

Lisa :)

Last edited:
Yep, sure do here. Chickens body temp is about 103* Cold doesn't bother them much at all. It is winter-cold AND wet (usually condensation from poorly ventilated coops) that cause frostbite. If they are cold, they will snuggle together. As long as they have a dry place they can get to, then there is no reason to keep them locked up inside. Ours go out in winter with regular rain, freezing rain, sleet, and snow driving into the runs sideways. They have shelter from overhead at all times, since the coops are built 2 feet off the ground to offer shelter underneath. In winter we tack thick plastic sheets on the runs on the north and west sides to help block cold air. They are always free to go back into the coop, since we close the doors to the coops, but except for some of the worst storms with super heavy rain coming down, most of them choose to remain outside.

CUTE!!!

thumbsup.gif
I always received compliments from the doctor/dentist when I would go for my appointment with my children. They stayed out front while I went to the back. They were well-behaved and quiet. They would ask me, 'How do you do that?'. It is called discipline!
My flock love it out in the rain. That is a good time for them to forage for bugs and worms.
The rain also helps keep their little fluffy bottoms clean!

Side note: I RECEIVED 1/2" OF RAIN!!!!
yesss.gif

hubby finally got the rain gauge back up outside and now the stupid thing isn't transmitting to the indoor weather station. *exasperated sigh*.

he.gif

Thanks for your advice.

hubby finally got the rain gauge back up outside and now the stupid thing isn't transmitting to the indoor weather station. *exasperated sigh*.
I was so excited to see rain, I went out to check the gauge and just walk around. (so refreshing) My flock was talking a mile a minute and eating bugs!

jajeanpierre: You might want to check out 'Fresh-Air Poultry Houses' by Prince T. Woods, M.D. It was written in 1924 and still holds true for today.

Lisa, they found their feed! Now they are running around chasing each other and being goofy about it. I feed FF, so they are all in the wet feed playing and being goof balls. Ahhh, chickens are such good entertainment.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom