Texas

I've studied up on the opossum issue...it's just hard for us to take a life....they are as lethal to our fowl families as any predator plus they carry rabies and their poo infects animals with disease....I do appreciate all the opinions and advise...it's not an easy task for some of us! I wish I didn't have to...but I chose to have my birds and dogs....so they are my priority
old.gif

Opposum's do not carry rabies, their body temp is too low to keep the virus alive long enough to transmit it... Had them around where we live for over 15 years and not had any trouble with them. Very easy to release them in another area, near a lake or creek and away from anyone not educated on them. Outside cats pose a much bigger health risk when it comes to all of those issues.

How often do you travel thru Houston, jungle? Wouldn't mind gettin a chance to meet you one trip!

My daughter is in med school at UTMB Galveston, so I come down a few times a year. We are here to celebrate mine and her birthday. She is my first born and she was born on my birthday. It was one of the happiest and most fearful days of my life. I had to make the toughest choice of my life, to save my wife's life or fight for my babies life and risk losing them both. It is quite an amazing story, but I obviously decided to fight for her life. It took every ounce of strength in my body to get her out, but she was so worth it. She is very special to me . She is doing rotations in the OBGYN right now. This is what she posted on facebook on our birthday.

"Dad and Mom, after spending time with moms in labor on my OBGYN rotation, I've been sharing with a lot of people how awesome you two as parents were when I was being born! Your love and faith made you take the risk of having me out there in the Amazon...and on your birthday, Dad! Love you and so grateful for your strength and trust in Christ! Happy birthday to us, Dad!

I thought about bringing you one of my game roosters on this trip, but our plans got messed up and we got off way too late to have the extra time. Maybe next time.

I've studied up on the opossum issue...it's just hard for us to take a life....they are as lethal to our fowl families as any predator plus they carry rabies and their poo infects animals with disease....I do appreciate all the opinions and advise...it's not an easy task for some of us! I wish I didn't have to...but I chose to have my birds and dogs....so they are my priority
old.gif
Opossums rarely carry rabies. They are certainly not as dangerous to an adult chicken as other predators. They are nocturnal, too, so it is easy to lock up your chickens and keep them safe at night. I had a big opossum living under a building on my neighbor's property for a few days and I just made sure there was nothing to encourage him/her to come to my property--no animal food left out and no way to get to my chickens or vegetable garden. The opossum moved on. They don't have a territory the way other animals do.

They do carry a parasite that has been implicated in EPM, which is a very serious (and sometimes fatal) neurological disease in horses. The way to manage the risk of EPM to make your area not attractive to them--closing feed bins and things like that.

Opossums rarely carry rabies.  They are certainly not as dangerous to an adult chicken as other predators.  They are nocturnal, too, so it is easy to lock up your chickens and keep them safe at night.  I had a big opossum living under a building on my neighbor's property for a few days and I just made sure there was nothing to encourage him/her to come to my property--no animal food left out and no way to get to my chickens or vegetable garden.  The opossum moved on.  They don't have a territory the way other animals do.

They do carry a parasite that has been implicated in EPM, which is a very serious (and sometimes fatal) neurological disease in horses.  The way to manage the risk of EPM to make your area not attractive to them--closing feed bins and things like that.

Don't know about here, but opossums were the number one chicken killer in the Amazon. I trained my dog to dispatch them they were so frequent.

My daughter is in med school at UTMB Galveston, so I come down a few times a year. We are here to celebrate mine and her birthday. She is my first born and she was born on my birthday. It was one of the happiest and most fearful days of my life. I had to make the toughest choice of my life, to save my wife's life or fight for my babies life and risk losing them both. It is quite an amazing story, but I obviously decided to fight for her life. It took every ounce of strength in my body to get her out, but she was so worth it. She is very special to me . She is doing rotations in the OBGYN right now. This is what she posted on facebook on our birthday.

"Dad and Mom, after spending time with moms in labor on my OBGYN rotation, I've been sharing with a lot of people how awesome you two as parents were when I was being born! Your love and faith made you take the risk of having me out there in the Amazon...and on your birthday, Dad! Love you and so grateful for your strength and trust in Christ! Happy birthday to us, Dad!

I thought about bringing you one of my game roosters on this trip, but our plans got messed up and we got off way too late to have the extra time. Maybe next time.

Wow what an amazing story!!! Happy belated birthday to the both of you!

I think between your pictures and your life story it would make an exciting book! Have you considered it?

Lisa :)

Opposum's do not carry rabies, their body temp is too low to keep the virus alive long enough to transmit it... Had them around where we live for over 15 years and not had any trouble with them. Very easy to release them in another area, near a lake or creek and away from anyone not educated on them. Outside cats pose a much bigger health risk when it comes to all of those issues.
my info came from the texas A&M

Back
Top Bottom