Texas

So does anyone else use the deep litter method?  Since I have switched it has been night and day on the smell.  Prior to using it the dirt in the coops got hard and smelt, had to clean out every weekend.  Since, I switched, kind of by default with the boys that I was not sure I was going to keep anyway, no smell! I was using the "grass" clippings from the yard (all natural brush), but since it is winter have to buy hay.  I LOVE it!!! You still have to clean it out, but not nearly as often.  I know some think it may be a lazy way of doing things, but it works.  Gives me more time to keep my kitchen clean (laundry done, floors swept, you know the places humans eat and sleep) LOL!!!

Anyone else?  What are your thoughts?

Love the deep litter method I use pine shavings mainly :) since we buy bulk shavings for our horse stalls sometimes there will be cedar in with the pine.

Hi all! Does anyone know where I can buy 2 Serama or Silkied Serama pullets or young hens? I have 2 little Roos that need wives. I'm planning on showing my Roos. Any help will be appreciated so much!

Picked up my three new hens today~ They are simply gorgeous, I cannot thank Julie enough for these beautiful ladies. They were so well taken care of, and since I only had one bird, I went ahead and put them all together, not like it would change much. They are all hiding from my phoenix hen right now. She is so mean! But they will stand up for themselves soon enough. The buff brahma is HUGE! She is bigger than the jersey giant pullet! Haha~ They are all around 8 months old, and that brahma has to weigh at least 9 pounds! I love them already, and I bet they will get friendlier as I pay attention to them. I will get pictures later and post them on here.

Picked up my three new hens today~ They are simply gorgeous, I cannot thank Julie enough for these beautiful ladies. They were so well taken care of, and since I only had one bird, I went ahead and put them all together, not like it would change much. They are all hiding from my phoenix hen right now. She is so mean! But they will stand up for themselves soon enough. The buff brahma is HUGE! She is bigger than the jersey giant pullet! Haha~ They are all around 8 months old, and that brahma has to weigh at least 9 pounds! I love them already, and I bet they will get friendlier as I pay attention to them. I will get pictures later and post them on here.

Congrats! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Such a pretty day today! After church I went grocery shopping. I had not been since before Christmas. I had also not eaten since supper last night. Boy was it hard not to impulse buy and buy junk to snack on! I did good though. :)

Here is an article on deep litter. And another one.

Here is an article that talks about cedar chips being bad for chickens. I guess if there is a lot of ventilation it won't be a big deal, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Interesting about the pine shavings too.

My roof goes on tomorrow. I'm excited about it. It will be kind of like getting a new house. ;)

Anyone going to the poultry shows this spring?

I think there are three in March--South Central Texas Classic, March 1, in La Grange; Fancy Feathers Open Show, March 15, Dripping Springs; South Texas State Fair, March 29, and I haven't a clue where that show is, but it must be driving distance for me.

I decided that I am going to exhibit some birds. I'm hoping to meet some of you so I won't feel quite so lost.

Anyone going?

So does anyone else use the deep litter method? Since I have switched it has been night and day on the smell. Prior to using it the dirt in the coops got hard and smelt, had to clean out every weekend. Since, I switched, kind of by default with the boys that I was not sure I was going to keep anyway, no smell! I was using the "grass" clippings from the yard (all natural brush), but since it is winter have to buy hay. I LOVE it!!! You still have to clean it out, but not nearly as often. I know some think it may be a lazy way of doing things, but it works. Gives me more time to keep my kitchen clean (laundry done, floors swept, you know the places humans eat and sleep) LOL!!!

Anyone else? What are your thoughts?
I use the deep litter method and love it. A big difference since I started using it. No smells. I love going in there and thinking 'I raise chickens in here'. I use pine shavings and go in every morning to take out the big droppings and kinda fluff the shavings up. It makes excellent compost!

Such a pretty day today! After church I went grocery shopping. I had not been since before Christmas. I had also not eaten since supper last night. Boy was it hard not to impulse buy and buy junk to snack on! I did good though. :)

Here is an article on deep litter. And another one.

Here is an article that talks about cedar chips being bad for chickens. I guess if there is a lot of ventilation it won't be a big deal, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Interesting about the pine shavings too.

My roof goes on tomorrow. I'm excited about it. It will be kind of like getting a new house. ;)
Ms. Jellybean, did they give you an idea how long it will take them to put the new roof on? I hope you have earplugs!! I am so happy for you!

Lisa :)

Back
Top Bottom