Texas

Good morning! It's a chilly day right now but will warm up nicely. :)

The roofers have been at work for about an hour now. They said they will be done today with the house. Garage should be as well.

My kitties and dog don't quite know what to make of all the noise from above them. I imagine that will get worse when they start putting the new singles on.

What is up with the weather?! I just looked at the forecast for the week. Most depressing after today.
Yay for your new roof!!
And I was really hoping it would start feeling warmer. I wanted to plant my herbs this week...I guess I'll just do some more planning, maybe place my seed order.

Good morning! It's so nice to not have to go to work today!!
Jealous! lol
tongue.png

Anyone going to the poultry shows this spring?

I think there are three in March--South Central Texas Classic, March 1, in La Grange; Fancy Feathers Open Show, March 15, Dripping Springs; South Texas State Fair, March 29, and I haven't a clue where that show is, but it must be driving distance for me.

I decided that I am going to exhibit some birds.  I'm hoping to meet some of you so I won't feel quite so lost.

Anyone going?
I have some I am planning on showing but I was planning on the fall show at the Comal County Fairgrounds. I would love to enter the spring shows but not sure how far they are from me. I have to do the close drive thing also. :)

I have some I am planning on showing but I was planning on the fall show at the Comal County Fairgrounds. I would love to enter the spring shows but not sure how far they are from me. I have to do the close drive thing also.
smile.png

I think two are pretty close, because like you, I want driving distance and I am just north of San Antonio, Hwy 281 and Hwy 46. The Dripping Springs is just north of Hwy 46 on one of the roads to Austin, I think. The La Grange is just past Austin--again I am not sure because I'm new to Texas and haven't yet done much traveling. The last show, I think, is pretty far and past Houston.

Greetings from San Antonio! Yesterday one of my girls laid her first egg! I have JGs and Australorps. All are at 22 weeks of age. It was one of my Australorps that laid the egg. It was a small one, about the size of a golfball, but a beautiful brown color! Proud moment for me yesterday.

I think two are pretty close, because like you, I want driving distance and I am just north of San Antonio, Hwy 281 and Hwy 46.  The Dripping Springs is just north of Hwy 46 on one of the roads to Austin, I think.  The La Grange is just past Austin--again I am not sure because I'm new to Texas and haven't yet done much traveling.  The last show, I think, is pretty far and past Houston.
That sounds great. I'm in the Shertz/Cibolo area. I'll check into these shows. I'm realty looking forward to showing my chickens. :)

Greetings from San Antonio! Yesterday one of my girls laid her first egg! I have JGs and Australorps. All are at 22 weeks of age. It was one of my Australorps that laid the egg. It was a small one, about the size of a golfball, but a beautiful brown color! Proud moment for me yesterday.

Congrats! I always feel like it's their way of saying they are happy with me, and life. Even though they lay the eggs, I am the one who feels I accomplished something each time. :)

Here is Juliette today. It seems like her right leg is the one she's not really using. But she's eating and drinking and will move, but not a lot. She prefers to sit. She did love the mealworms this morning and ate right from my hand. Her eyes seem alert and she was crowing/talking a lot earlier.

Should I try some asprin? Should I keep her more or less confined?

Here is how Juliette is usually sitting. She will stand for food and water.

And the other is Murphy! I didn't want her to be jealous of all the photos I took of her sister.

Last edited:
Here is Juliette today. It seems like her right leg is the one she's not really using. But she's eating and drinking and will move, but not a lot. She prefers to sit. She did love the mealworms this morning and ate right from my hand. Her eyes seem alert and she was crowing/talking a lot earlier.

Should I try some asprin? Should I keep her more or less confined?
I would not recommend giving any Aspirin. I don't which pain killers is toxic to chickens and what is not. For example, Tylenol will kill dogs, and dogs metabolize Aspirin at half the rate of people, so you can overdose a dog by giving the same amount (by weight) in the same time frames as a human.

Also, by relieving pain, the animal might do more damage to the injury. Pain has a useful purpose--it reminds the animal is hurt, so they protect their injury.

I don't know how much this chicken is worth to you, but you might take it to a farm vet.

Back
Top Bottom