Texas

Oh, such a bad day yesterday. Came back from school to the high squeal chirps of little chicks. Went to check on them and realized that the room was cold. Probably 68 degrees. A chick was standing on top of a lifeless sister when I looked in the box. The heater had cycled off and never came back on.

I picked up the chick and held her for a minute to assess her vitals the best I could. Nothing going on, got a different heater and realized there was the slightest movement. Held her in front of the warm air gently stroking her chest to see if that would stimulate her back. Well, after about two hours she opened her eyes and wanted water but was still almost lifeless but definitely breathing. Checked on her every 15 minutes for about 5 hours and then the last time she was gone. What a bummer.

Other two chicks were fine and actually bonded over this. Maybe she was sick when I got her or just not as determined to live. Back to 7 hens
I'm so sorry. I lost quite a few chicks with my first batch. It was hard..
hugs.gif

I'm geting mine from Shutt'er Down Ranch in Princeton Texas. They know who you are Curtis. If you were closer I'd pick mine up from you. I can't breed mine though. Maybe I will get eggs to hatch out though. I want to do that with Buckeyes too.
You have been lacking in the photo department. ;) Get some of the silkies too. :)
Coming right up! Do you know when you're going?

Are you planning a trip to Dallas any time soon? Like next week? :) I'm in McKinney. I'd love to buy a chick from you.

It's pretty easy to grow your own. Try Petsmart, Petco or other pet stores. Maybe even TS. I know they have dried ones.

I'm going to have a pullet and roo BCM that will need a home soonish. I'm trying to decide if I should keep them for a bit first to make sure they were sexed right before I sell them. I'll be getting them next week if all goes well with the hatch.
I thought you found a guy?
How old will the pullet be....?
roll.png

Here are my girls! Well most of them. My other BO, Ava, was a little camera shy.

EE, Pearl. She's turned into a cuddler since her "brother" left.

EE, Rosey, aka "Little Hawk"

Silkies: Lil' Blue and Coco

Pearl again

My bossy girls: Barred Rock, Freya, and BO Eloise
They look like they're posing
idunno.gif

Freya loves nothing more than picking on the Silkies.

I'm so sorry. I lost quite a few chicks with my first batch. It was hard..
hugs.gif

Coming right up! Do you know when you're going?

I thought you found a guy?
How old will the pullet be....?
roll.png

Here are my girls! Well most of them. My other BO, Ava, was a little camera shy.

EE, Pearl. She's turned into a cuddler since her "brother" left.

EE, Rosey, aka "Little Hawk"

Silkies: Lil' Blue and Coco

Pearl again

My bossy girls: Barred Rock, Freya, and BO Eloise
They look like they're posing
idunno.gif

Freya loves nothing more than picking on the Silkies.

Do you have all your birds together? LF and Silkies? Just curious.

Do you have all your birds together? LF and Silkies? Just curious.
Not yet...the littles just get picked on too much.
They're in a smaller pen inside the run so they still get outside time without being harassed too much.
Some of my big girls jump in there but Freya doesn't want to go through the trouble. Lol.
They sleep separate at night too.
When they're bigger I don't think it'll be as bad.
They are getting better though.
They're 3/4 weeks apart, so that's why.
They weren't all chicks together.

Ms Jellybean, I've been wanting to respond to your fencing questions. I used that same type of black plastic hardware cloth in my first coop and some in the run against dog kennel panels. It works well to keep birds inside. I don't feel it would hold up against a determined predator. We just haven't had many of those, thank God. I also used a lot of scrap lumber/pallets to build my second coop. It is not pretty, but it is very effective and cheap. feel free to visit my coop pages and I will try to update them soon to include our new brooder addition.

Back
Top Bottom