Texas

Prices will be rising for three reasons. PVC is made of two raw materials in about equal proportions, ethylene and chlorine. They are made into VCM, which is then made into PVC. There was a big fire at a major VCM plant a few months ago, and it will be down at least until the end of April, meaning less product to make PVC

Prices for ethylene have been rising because of planned and unplanned downtime at the plants that make it, and because the major pipeline that brings ethylene from Texas to Louisiana has been down for months and won't be back up until June at the earliest. That means less ethylene to make PVC.

The third reason is tight supply of PVC itself due to planned and unplanned downtime at PVC plants in Texas and Louisiana over the past few months.

So, the basic rules of supply and demand are pushing up prices for PVC, which means the companies that use it to make pipe are also trying to raise their prices. So far they have had limited success because the very cold winter has hampered demand for pipe. They hope that demand will rise as the weather warms across the country in April, allowing them to push their prices up enough to recoup the 9 cents per pound in price increases they have taken in PVC resin so far this year.

I hope that explains it!

Yep - that was what I wanted to know. Supply and demand drives most prices on things but when it's something like a problem at manufacturing plants, that is easier to stomach than just wondering if somebody was getting greedy and just decided to see if people would buy a product at a higher price. We won't be stopping our use of PVC just because of the price - we do so much with it between using it for its intended purpose as well as hoops for my garden beds, and other little projects. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Good morning Texas! Here are a couple of sites I found in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep. LOL
Landscaping your run...

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/04/chicken-run-landscaping.html

Heat Stress relief for your flock.....

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/06/heat-stress.html

raised beds for the coop....

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...cken-Run-Raised-Bed-Building-Plans-p1248.aspx

Got to run, My daddy was put in the hospital last night, he has an infection and he is now septic, it's in his blood. Hardheaded man, letting it go. So I am headed to the hospital.
Have a great day.
Sending up smoke for your Pops.

When I click the Landscaping link, it gets filtered by my work as :Marijuana...LOL
What kinda landscaping is being done....hehe

zip ties are just too difficult to remove. I don't reccommend them. The easiest think I found was colored velcro ties. They are often used to tie cords together. You can find them in walmart in the sewing/craft isle cheaper than in the electronics area. They can be cut to size and stay on as long as you want provided you wrap a long enough length.

Prayers to your dad. Hope alls well. I know the feeling with my mom and all.

Well, for the first time in a week Mama has spent a full 12 hours in her pasture. No waking up to her standing in the shed eating all my feed, no 7 a.m. phone call from the neighbors. Keeping fingers crossed I don't walk out and see the all familiar site of my escape artist in action. Not after spending over two hours mending fence by myself, I'd probably cry.

Doesn't she look guilty as charged? Ignore all the dead fall in the back. I'm trying to burn it between rain and building.

Babies are on the back porch! They're enjoying the morning sun.

Ooh a bug!!

Oh no, these will be permanent coops. I'll be turning some of my other stalls in the barn into chicken pens.
Happy birthday to your wife! You can always get her some chicks for her birthday.
wink.png

Monday is my DH and my anniversary. We'll be married 30 years. Doesn't really seem that long, but then again it seems like we have always been together!
lol.png

Heading out to the barn. Hope everyone has a great day!
Happy 30th Anniversary on Monday!!

Good morning Texas! Here are a couple of sites I found in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep. LOL
Landscaping your run...

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...cken-Run-Raised-Bed-Building-Plans-p1248.aspx

Got to run, My daddy was put in the hospital last night, he has an infection and he is now septic, it's in his blood. Hardheaded man, letting it go. So I am headed to the hospital.
Have a great day.
Loved the sites!! I am praying for your Dad!

Lisa :)

Oh no, these will be permanent coops. I'll be turning some of my other stalls in the barn into chicken pens.
Happy birthday to your wife! You can always get her some chicks for her birthday.
wink.png

Monday is my DH and my anniversary. We'll be married 30 years. Doesn't really seem that long, but then again it seems like we have always been together!
lol.png

Heading out to the barn. Hope everyone has a great day!
Congrats! Unfortunately, marriages that last are a rare commodity these days! Kudos!

Landscaping your run...

Have a great day.
Saying a prayer for your father!

Well, I just don't know what to do! Since Lucy passed on to Chicken Heaven, I have room for 1-3 more chickens...they will be squished at night if I get 3 more but it's all good! I want a Maran-but no chicks, just not set up for chicks, but no one has Maran's that are juveniles. Murray Mc murray has some Cuckoo Maran's but the shipping is 75$ for ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
th.gif

Does anyone know where I could get a nice chocolate egg layer (or two), 15-20 weeks, close by?? I'd even travel up to an hour, but not really more than that. Don't want them that bad. UGH
And I don't want them bad enough for 75$ shipping. I don't have a husband who would kill me but I'd kill myself at that poor choice of money management!!!
Even the hatchery close by only has 1 week old chicks.
If you find any in the Dallas area, let me know!
I'm down in the Houston area often enough: my family's in the woodlands/Conroe.
I wouldn't mind being a courier, if that's something you want to look into.

Wheaten Marans. I posted the ad for them. Remember?

No enabling going on here at all.
lau.gif
I don't know where to get an Olive Egger, but the ad I posted earlier has BCM's as well as other colours and you can get Cream Legbars in several different places. Close to me is Shutt'er Down Ranch in Famersville.

He was answering that for me. I am getting chicks!
jumpy.gif
I've seen a lady selling Olive Eggers on the Facebook page!
There's also a lady who has a little hobby farm who sells a lot of marans and olive eggers.

Welcome to BYC and the best thread on the forum!
Welcome to the Texas thread neighbor! I'm over toward the Tatum area.
frow.gif

Be sure a post a pic when you get it. Do you plan on doing any free ranging with your birds?

Looks like they're enjoying their new home!

I want to try incubating. I hope your hatching goes well!

That would be wonderful! I have a new gallon flip jug for my babies right now. Seriously thinking about doing the nipples once they get out of the brooder.

I want some different colored Orps. They are so sweet!

125 posts I had to catch up on! Now I have to go clean up from supper, LOL

I was gone most of today. Got home to feed my babies and my two sweeties missed me. They always want to sit on my are when I'm out there visiting them. Of all my chicks, the BOs and the SLWs are the sweetest in the whole bunch.

I LOVE my Orps, but my EEs are growing on me.
One of my Orps is such a dog-chicken. Lol. Always in my face and wanting to see what's going on. The other is just so mellow. She goes with the flow. She's at the bottom of the pecking order but she's not messed with much.

I wasn't here last summer, but I remember hearing about them last fall. Glad they caught them things are moving along.
And I am getting mine from you!

Anyone know where to get some good beignets from in my area?
If you find out, let me know!

Artificial insemination

not sure where to buy chicken sperm but you know someone is selling it
ep.gif
lau.gif

Sending up smoke for your Pops.
Ditto!!

Well, for the first time in a week Mama has spent a full 12 hours in her pasture. No waking up to her standing in the shed eating all my feed, no 7 a.m. phone call from the neighbors. Keeping fingers crossed I don't walk out and see the all familiar site of my escape artist in action. Not after spending over two hours mending fence by myself, I'd probably cry.

Doesn't she look guilty as charged? Ignore all the dead fall in the back. I'm trying to burn it between rain and building.

Babies are on the back porch! They're enjoying the morning sun.

Ooh a bug!!
Your horse is gorgeous!
love.gif

I had to share haha

And these are my prize possessions!
Are those the White Faced Black Spanish??

So...umm...I just realized this place is called Backyard Chickens. What if my chickens are technically in the front yard?
You're out of the club!
You have to go to frontyardchickens.com now

Back
Top Bottom