Texas

I used a medium sized dog carrier as a broody nest for my Australorp. If you look on CL or at thrift stores you can usually find them at a discount price.

What I did was kept my (already broody) Australorp in the carrier inside the coop and made a nest inside the carrier with wood shavings. After a few hours I put eggs under her and she immediately pulled them in under her body. About every other day I let her out, if she wanted to go, to eat, drink and poop. It was February so it wasn't hot. Broodies usually don't get off of the nest everyday...just when they absolutely have to. After the chicks began to hatch I moved the hen, still locked in the carrier to the shed where she hatched the rest of the babies.

We were lucky enough to have a new unused shed at the time that made it easy to keep warm (It was February).

I have a carrier I could use, but I wouldn't want to lock her in... I don't want her to get overheated. I might just see how it goes. If my other hens leave her alone, then great, if I start having problems I think I will try and transfer her over. So far with the eggs she has under her that are not fertile, not a single one has been broken but I know it is still a possibility.
hu.gif

Just finished building my new outdoor brooder!! It is 2 feet wide,4 feet long and 3.5 feet tall.

I hope the chicks this June like it!!
What do y'all think of it?

Good job! It looks very nice. I truly love the rustic feel of it, too. Are you using a broody or buying the chicks?

I have some helpful suggestions, based on my experiences.

Put it in shade if you are going to brood in the hotter months. Put it inside your chicken yard or a dog run to protect it from stray dogs/coyotes who can rip through the screen. My neighbors dog ripped through chain-link to get our rabbit.

All of those areas where you see light coming through, put a piece of 1/4 inch hardware cloth over them, because snakes will get in. If you have 1/2 inch on the bottom, that might be a problem for the young chicks. I would cut-to-fit a piece of cardboard and then cover that in shavings so the chicks have traction...it helps prevent leg problems.

Spray around the feet for fire ants (not inside the coop). I am NOT a big poison person, but having lost a chick last night after finding it being attacked while trying to hatch has me on a fire ant rampage.

Can't wait to see your photos in June!

Back
Top Bottom