Texas

Star do you happen to know anyone with a hog trap? If so you could bait one and set it for the dogs. The darn traps are usually about the size of a truck bed so conceivably several dogs could get in there at once and they could stay in there until the county (or whoever) folks could come by and get them. Might be more than you want to deal with but I thought I'd throw it out there as an option.

RichnSteph

My brother in law has a hog trap. But he is currently using it as they found hog sign on their property. But if they become available I might ask to borrow it.

For those that asked about the differences between chicken egg and duck egg, I finally got to eat a duck egg yesterday. Now I have no laying chickens here, so will compare to store bought eggs. I also eat my eggs over easy. The duck egg yolk was orange and was richer in flavor. But not so rich that it was overwhelming. Since the ducks got here, both of my kids are crazy for duck eggs, they don't want store bought chicken eggs anymore. I also liked the flavor of the duck eggs better than store bought chicken eggs.

For those that asked about the differences between chicken egg and duck egg, I finally got to eat a duck egg yesterday. Now I have no laying chickens here, so will compare to store bought eggs. I also eat my eggs over easy. The duck egg yolk was orange and was richer in flavor. But not so rich that it was overwhelming. Since the ducks got here, both of my kids are crazy for duck eggs, they don't want store bought chicken eggs anymore. I also liked the flavor of the duck eggs better than store bought chicken eggs.

Good Morning, When you finally start getting your fresh chicken eggs, you will never get store bought again!!!

Hello, I'm new to BYC and I live in Royse City, TX which is about 30 minutes East of Dallas. It's about as far out in the country I can live and still have a decent drive to work during the week. This is our first year having chickens. We started out with 12, 4 different breeds. They are almost 3 months old now. It's so cute the way the run to end of the chicken run when they see me coming.
Jan

Hello, I'm new to BYC and I live in Royse City, TX which is about 30 minutes East of Dallas.  It's about as far out in the country I can live and still have a decent drive to work during the week.  This is our first year having chickens.  We started out with 12, 4 different breeds.  They are almost 3 months old now.  It's so cute the way the run to end of the chicken run when they see me coming.
Jan

:welcome from San Antonio

Without knowing they weren't chickens eggs (initially) I was thrilled at how much better fresh eggs were to store bought. I'm sure fresh chicken eggs are better than store bought, but it'll be a while before we can find out. Glad everyone's enjoying the quacker eggs!
thumbsup.gif

- TieDyeMommy

Hello, I'm new to BYC and I live in Royse City, TX which is about 30 minutes East of Dallas. It's about as far out in the country I can live and still have a decent drive to work during the week. This is our first year having chickens. We started out with 12, 4 different breeds. They are almost 3 months old now. It's so cute the way the run to end of the chicken run when they see me coming.
Jan
welcome-byc.gif
from Austin!

- TieDyeMommy

So I have read that BA chicks can start laying as early as 17 weeks? Anyone know if this is true? At what age should my BR, RIR, SLW, BO, and BA chicks start laying? The BR, RIR, and SLW are 11 weeks old now. The BO chicks are 7 weeks old, and the BA chicks are 5 weeks old.

My earliest layers were marraduna basque. They laid at 17 weeks. I was so amazed. Their half sister did not lay that early, but she also was brooded later in the year.

My idea hatchery black australorp was about 22 weeks old when she first laid. Most of my chickens are at least 20 weeks old. Many of them are older.

This morning I sat in the chicken yard and visited with my ladies.
smile.png
I don't often get to do this because I normally have my little helper (daughter) with me, but I got to sit and watch them, and talk with them. The ladies tried to flutter up to the branches of a small rain tree they like to snack on, but couldn't make it more than 1 to 1.5ft high...so, for now, looks like the wing-clipping has worked. I felt bad that they couldn't get to the leaves, so I broke some branches down and put them where they could get to 'em. They are going to be spoiled rotten before too long...if they aren't already.
wink.png

- TieDyeMommy

Back
Top Bottom