Texas

Just a question why isn't it ok for the chickens to sleep in the nests at night? We have about 7 who roost but three that like to sleep in the nesting areas? We use to have nesting boxes but no one ever used them so they nest either on a shelf or in the bedding on the floor under the shelf. I only ask because I saw in another post someone trying to get them from roosting on the boxes

It worked well. We do need some sharper knives though. But yeah, the milk jug held the chickens in place while they bled out. No flopping around spraying blood everywhere. I like it, hubby says he wants to try the hatched method (he has never slaughtered chickens before this was his first time). I guess he wants to try all methods before choosing 1 over the others. Lol. My new defeathering pot was great, loved it.

Glad to hear it went well. Also glad to hear things should be a bit more peaceful without the pesky roos.

Just a question why isn't it ok for the chickens to sleep in the nests at night? We have about 7 who roost but three that like to sleep in the nesting areas? We use to have nesting boxes but no one ever used them so they nest either on a shelf or in the bedding on the floor under the shelf. I only ask because I saw in another post someone trying to get them from roosting on the boxes
Well they crap on the bedding and if they was laying in there that would make dirty eggs so it is best to keep them out of there at night. And it can also make the hens go broody by being in the nest for long periods of time.

The reason is chickens poop more when they sleep than when they are awake.
celebrate.gif
This what it seems like anyway. You really don't want them pooping in the nesting boxes for obvious reasons. Just put some artificial eggs or golf balls in the nests, this may help them get the idea that these areas are for eggs only. If not, you may have to block them of for a few nights to force them to roost where they are supposed to. If you allow them to continue to sleep, and poop, in the nesting boxes, it can be a health concern for chicken and human. Hope this helps.

Glad to hear it went well.  Also glad to hear things should be a bit more peaceful without the pesky roos.

I am glad it went well too. I was a bit nervous about today. But things went fairly smooth, a few minor bumps, mainly at the gutting stage, lol.

I am looking forward to having a few peaceful weeks. I am pretty sure there is a couple more slow to mature Roos left. As long as they don't cause trouble I will leave them be for another month or so. Maybe 1 of those guys will be spared to be the 2nd Roo for the flock. Need to make sure the ladies are protected and kept happy. Don't think 1 Roo can look out for and please 20 ladies. Lol.

I am glad it went well too. I was a bit nervous about today. But things went fairly smooth, a few minor bumps, mainly at the gutting stage, lol.

I am looking forward to having a few peaceful weeks. I am pretty sure there is a couple more slow to mature Roos left. As long as they don't cause trouble I will leave them be for another month or so. Maybe 1 of those guys will be spared to be the 2nd Roo for the flock. Need to make sure the ladies are protected and kept happy. Don't think 1 Roo can look out for and please 20 ladies. Lol.

lol's my main fear about getting more meat bird is that i won't be able to cull them i get way to attached to them. When i had to cull my 4 Cornish crosses it was like killing a family member after all the crap we went through together but I'm glad i know about the eating schedule now

Quote: I went outside this morning to check on some of the dogs out there and just happened to glance over at my little chicken tractor. What do I spy but a 2 foot long rat snake looking for an entrance to the tractor. So, I grabbed a stick and went to move it away when the snake turned toward me and slithered off between my feet!!!!! Needless to say, I shrieked like a little girl!!!!! This is my first snake/chicken encounter, and I knew it was only a matter of time, but still.....the adrenaline is still flowing high!

I have had to kill multiple rat snakes. Keep in mind that if you try to grab them and don't catch them right behind the head they WILL bite you. They are not venomous but I hear the bite hurts like all holy crap. I hate snakes with a passion! My daughter is not afraid of them, so she has helped me when they climbed up into the rafters of the duck house. I'd make her dress in a long-sleeved shirt, jeans, boots and leather gloves just to be safe from any bites. We had a system going - she'd climb on a small stepstool and use long barbeque tongs to grab the head then step down and fling the snake on the floor, at which point I would use a sharp shovel to cut the head off. Those things can be tough and I have seen myself have to stand on the shovel and rock back and forth to cut the head clean off! This was for a huge six-footer. The super creepy part is they keep moving for hours after they are dead. I would scoop up the remains and put them in a 5-gallon bucket then go throw them away in the woods. Just thinking about snakes creeps me out!!

Starfire: I also use bottles as a killing cone. I use empty 1-gallon vinegar bottles, as the plastic is a little thicker. I screwed it to a tree in the duck yard. Works like a charm! Much better for the meat than a bird running all over getting bruised.

lol's my main fear about getting more meat bird is that i won't be able to cull them i get way to attached to them. When i had to cull my 4 Cornish crosses it was like killing a family member after all the crap we went through together but I'm glad i know about the eating schedule now

I get attached too. But I can't keep them all, and if I don't eat my own birds I am eating someone else's birds who probably had a really crappy life before they made it to my freezer. Plus, these Roos could have ended up as dog food or ground up on hatch day. At least they got a decent life and we did our best to make sure their end was swift and painless. It is never easy for me, but I don't think killing any animal should be easy. I always have to give myself a pep talk before every cull day.

Back
Top Bottom