Texas

straw has a bit more stalk of the wheat and barley plants and different types of hay like alfalfa are available depending where you are. but those other types of hay are for livestock like cows through my grams used alfalfa hay for the nest boxes year round but for the most part yes it is the same thing. 

Straw and Hay are not the same thing!!

Straw is the dried stalk of cereal grains such as wheat, oats, rye, rice and barley after the grain and chaff has been removed.

Hay is legumes, grasses such as Coastal and Bahia which is used for feeding livestock.

Hay is not preferred for yardbirds because the grass is typically too long and can get stuck and choke a chicken.

Personally I would only use straw for nest boxes only and not for bedding or in the run due to fact it can get moldy and takes too long to break down. JMHO

David

My man can't lift anymore...hernia surgery. Lol. Aren't you in the DFW area? Is mold big here?

I know...they're BEAUTIFUL, but...$25 a chick (at the cheapest) and a 10 chick minimum....yeah...maybe in my dreams
roll.png
lol

yeah it's one of the reasons why we didn't but any walls on our run and why the hen house is open 24/7

Straw and Hay are not the same thing!!

Straw is the dried stalk of cereal grains such as wheat, oats, rye, rice and barley after the grain and chaff has been removed.

Hay is legumes, grasses such as Coastal and Bahia which is used for feeding livestock.

Hay is not preferred for yardbirds because the grass is typically too long and can get stuck and choke a chicken.

Personally I would only use straw for nest boxes only and not for bedding or in the run due to fact it can get moldy and takes too long to break down. JMHO

David

strange thats what i just said
cool.png

strange thats what i just said :cool:

When you stated "for the most part they are the same thing."

That is a false statement! That is like saying an apple and an orange for the most part are the same!

Google it and educate yourself to the difference because there is a difference!

I have hay (Bahia Grass) on my property and I also grow Cereal Rye and Oats as well. They are different!

Not trying to argue but if you answer someone who does not know the difference please give accurate information.

David

When you stated "for the most part they are the same thing."

That is a false statement! That is like saying an apple and an orange for the most part are the same!

Google it and educate yourself to the difference because there is a difference!

I have hay (Bahia Grass) on my property and I also grow Cereal Rye and Oats as well. They are different!

Not trying to argue but if you answer someone who does not know the difference please give accurate information.

David

David,

You are so right. I had a bird, who is no longer with us, that got an impacted crop to start with, from using hay instead of straw. She ended up with gleet, then an eye infection. We put her on antibiotics, to n avail. We finally had to put her down. If I knew then, what I know now, maybe that would not have happened.

How's the new Grandbaby doing??

On the subject of hay it is best to not to feed them to animals that have a problem with mold since they are stored outside and can get quite moldy. I was feeding round bales to my horses a few (maybe more than a few!) years ago. Had a problem and had the vet out. He took care of the problem and wanted to see what I was feeding them. He took a look at my hay and said to get rid of it, which I did since I was afraid I would have to give him room and board since he said he would be spending a lot of time at our place if I kept feeding moldy hay to them.

On the subject of hay it is best to not to feed them to animals that have a problem with mold since they are stored outside and can get quite moldy. I was feeding round bales to my horses a few (maybe more than a few!) years ago. Had a problem and had the vet out. He took care of the problem and wanted to see what I was feeding them. He took a look at my hay and said to get rid of it, which I did since I was afraid I would have to give him room and board since he said he would be spending a lot of time at our place if I kept feeding moldy hay to them.

That is so right!! Nowadays, it is hard to tell, especially if you are inexperienced, if you are buying moldy hay. Unless it is still somewhat green (not mold green) you don't know what you are getting. Best thing to do is buy from someone you know, as in all things!!

David,

You are so right. I had a bird, who is no longer with us, that got an impacted crop to start with, from using hay instead of straw. She ended up with gleet, then an eye infection.  We put her on antibiotics, to n avail. We finally had to put her down. If I knew then, what I know now, maybe that would not have happened.

How's the new Grandbaby doing??

There is so much misinformation given without true knowledge it is pathetic. That is why if I do not know for sure my answer would be correct I would not respond with an answer such as was given Harley!

My Grandson (Cameron David) decided he was gonna make his appearance in this world yesterday instead of being induced today.

He arrived shortly after 1300 hrs and weighs 7lbs even and is 20 inches long.

We call him our miracle baby as he had a knot in his umbilical cord. Fortunately it was not tight and no ill effects!!!
God was watching over him!!!

Thanks for asking Ken!!!

David

Last edited:
There is so much misinformation given without true knowledge it is pathetic. That is why if I do not know for sure my answer would be correct I would not respond with an answer such as was given Harley!

My Grandson (Cameron David) decided he was gonna make his appearance in this world yesterday instead of being induced today.

He arrived shortly after 1300 hrs and weighs 7lbs even and is 20 inches long.

We call him our miracle baby as he had a knot in his umbilical cord. Fortunately it was not tight and no ill effects!!!
God was watching over him!!!

Thanks for asking Ken!!!

David

Amen Brother!! Congrats!!! Give Mom, Dad, and Baby Cameron David our love!! Will be praying all is well in the future!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom