Texas

a good way to teach them to lay in the nest boxes is to get a fake egg and put it in the nest box on top of some straw

Thanks for the idea. I currently have a makeshift nesting box (made out of cardboard) with a golf ball in there...but they keep knocking the box over and turning into a sleeping cave. Ha-ha!

Get some milk crates. Fairly easy to screw to the walls. Put some straw in them and a fake egg or golfball. Your girls will most likely learn on their own to lay here !! If there is no room for milk crates, give me a call. I will PM my number.

Thanks! There's probably room for one milk crate. I should measure the coop and find out what I can put in there (roost & nesting boxes...since there are neither in there at the moment).
hmm.png

So Fred (we think) has given us one egg per day since she started, on Monday...and today we got a brown egg too. I'm thinking this came from Red (Red Sex-link), though it's possible it came from one of my Easter Eggers. Two of them have started squatting now too. WooHoo! EGGS!
wee.gif

So Fred (we think) has given us one egg per day since she started, on Monday...and today we got a brown egg too. I'm thinking this came from Red (Red Sex-link), though it's possible it came from one of my Easter Eggers. Two of them have started squatting now too. WooHoo! EGGS!
wee.gif
I'm going to vote sex-link. They tend to lay a little earlier than others and that brown looks like a sex-link brown to me. Plus, who wants Easter Eggers that lay brown, hopefully they are holding out on the green/blue eggs and will be laying soon too!

I'm going to vote sex-link. They tend to lay a little earlier than others and that brown looks like a sex-link brown to me. Plus, who wants Easter Eggers that lay brown, hopefully they are holding out on the green/blue eggs and will be laying soon too!

Thanks! As awesome as blue/green eggs would be, I'd be happy with anything they give me (as long as they're edible). Hee-hee!
smile.png

Ok so...IF I can't find a breeder, I might order from Ideal.
You need a minimum order of $25 and I don't need enough birds to fill that.
Would it be weird to throw a Cornish rock in and see if I can handle processing?
I think since that breed pretty much HAS to be processed by 6-8 weeks, it might be easier to start with?
Does that sound crazy?

I was thinking about getting some chicks from ideal also. Maybe we could combine an order? I will be out of town till about wen. but send me an email if you want to do it. I am near Lampasas. I am thinking about some bantam wyandottes.

So Fred (we think) has given us one egg per day since she started, on Monday...and today we got a brown egg too. I'm thinking this came from Red (Red Sex-link), though it's possible it came from one of my Easter Eggers. Two of them have started squatting now too. WooHoo! EGGS! :weee
Congrats! I'd also guess the sex-link layed the brown egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom