Texas

Greetings to you from the land of never ending snow.  I've seen 2 - 3 days where it's gotten briefly above freezing (for a couple of hours, mid day) since December!  Currently, about 4' of snow covering my garden.  Any how, enough about me!  I wanna hear about you.  I MAY be taking a trip to Guatemala in July.  It will be a mission trip, and I'm hoping to be able to take the components for an incubator, along with a bunch of hatching eggs, and veggie seeds.  I will be part of a missions team going to help a local pastor as he works with the children in 3 villages.  He does:  feeding programs, health clinics, teaching and assisting with sanitation (water treatment and composting toilets) and education.  If I'm able to go, my focus will be on teaching sustainable farming.  I'm thinking, raised bed, lasagna or deep mulch method coupled with chicken tractor to increase fertility for gardening, help feed the chickens, and keep the chicks safe from predators.  

So, this is where I'm looking for your help.  This is as close as I could get to Guatemala on BYC!  Can you please tell me what works and does not work for you in your gardening and poultry practices.  What kinds of predators will most likely be encountered south of the border.  (I realize that most predators don't carry visas and they don't pay attention to the border patrol, so I'm assuming that you have a bit of similarity to what will be encountered in Guatemala... (or at least more so than me here in Maine!)  Have you found that breeds with large combs do better in the heat than small combed chickens?  Would a tractor on the ground even work, or would the chicks be eaten alive by fire ants and such?
i know that they have several animals similar to raccoons as well as monkeys and wild cat species as predators.

Greetings to you from the land of never ending snow. I've seen 2 - 3 days where it's gotten briefly above freezing (for a couple of hours, mid day) since December! Currently, about 4' of snow covering my garden. Any how, enough about me! I wanna hear about you. I MAY be taking a trip to Guatemala in July. It will be a mission trip, and I'm hoping to be able to take the components for an incubator, along with a bunch of hatching eggs, and veggie seeds. I will be part of a missions team going to help a local pastor as he works with the children in 3 villages. He does: feeding programs, health clinics, teaching and assisting with sanitation (water treatment and composting toilets) and education. If I'm able to go, my focus will be on teaching sustainable farming. I'm thinking, raised bed, lasagna or deep mulch method coupled with chicken tractor to increase fertility for gardening, help feed the chickens, and keep the chicks safe from predators.

So, this is where I'm looking for your help. This is as close as I could get to Guatemala on BYC! Can you please tell me what works and does not work for you in your gardening and poultry practices. What kinds of predators will most likely be encountered south of the border. (I realize that most predators don't carry visas and they don't pay attention to the border patrol, so I'm assuming that you have a bit of similarity to what will be encountered in Guatemala... (or at least more so than me here in Maine!) Have you found that breeds with large combs do better in the heat than small combed chickens? Would a tractor on the ground even work, or would the chicks be eaten alive by fire ants and such?

Here's a list of mammals in Guatemala, looks like quite a variety. I'm sure there are many active reptiles too. Yikes!

http://www.authenticmaya.com/mamiferos.htm

Hello! I'm a complete newbie. I live in far west El Paso, TX. I would love some help and tips from those with more experience. So far do not have any hens, as I am still searching where I can get them locally (or at least within 100miles). I'd prefer to not get day or chicks as 1)we are are hoping for eggs sooner 2)I work during the day so keeping them warm/fed would be difficult at best.

Good Grief, wanted to say hello to fellow Texan's but have no idea how to get to the most recent posts. I'm at the beginning and there are over 3000. Maybe if someone will be kind enough to reply I'll be there reading that reply. I'm in Spring Branch, TX about 30 miles north of San Antonio and 10 miles south of Blanco. I have peafowl, pheasant and now an Australian Black Swan Cygnet 3 weeks old I hatched out. Anyone close to me? Anyone have swans? NO chickens yet but it's been my intention forever to get some.

Hello!  I'm a complete newbie.  I live in far west El Paso, TX.    I would love some help and tips from those with more experience. So far do not have any hens, as I am still searching where I can get them locally (or at least within 100miles).   I'd prefer to not get day or chicks as 1)we are are hoping for eggs sooner 2)I work during the day so keeping them warm/fed would be difficult at best.   

I'm in the Far East. Look on Craiglist there are several people selling chicks and hens. We got our first batch from Gentleman off of Alameda. We got 3(2 week old Barred Rocks),2 turned out to be roosters. The Tractor Supply (on Alameda) has chicks right now(they did Saturday). I'm not sure about your side of town. I don't go that way very often. I hope you find what you're looking for!

Back
Top Bottom