Texas

David,

Good news is the breeder I got my originals from is sending me chicks. I'll be meeting him next Friday in Tomball to pick up replacements free of charge. All I have to do is bring him guinea eggs, I just happen to already have three dozen collected. By next Friday he'll be over run with guinea eggs to set. LOL.

Trying to keep my chin up. John had to put me back together after I pieced all of my birds back and put them in the larvae bin. At least something will get use of them. I wont let them waste... I was tempted to bury them though.

Had a covey of Bobs come out and say hello to me an hour or so after I picked up carnage. So there's survivors to recover.

I'm still heart broken and convinced this place has a setback curse. Everytime we get a foot forward we're given a heavy load.

My cat eats them and then throws up everything an hour later. Anyone else having another rat explosion? We get them under control and then it rains and bam they come back out in force! My dogs are doing the best they can but cannot keep up. I don't dare let my cat outside since I live on a busy street.

I have pet rats so can't really say in this situation. N my cat did that too even if it was just a fly!! I've heard that roaches are afraid of mice n rats. How true that is I'm not sure

With all the good comes bad. I lost my entire pheasant flock, and most of my bob whites today to my own dogs. Well, my husbands dogs. The new flight pen had a quail sized hole, and, apparently they found it for me. I've been picking bodies up for over an hour. Still can't find how they got out. Sickening.

Can't help it. The dogs did as they were trained to do and killed.

So sorry!!

Welcome to BYC and Liberty Hill. I live in Liberty Hill too.
You can purchase no gmo feed at Winkley's on 29. The lady that makes it lives in Burnet. She sells chickens too. I have her info if you're interested.

I would love to get her information from you. I have been to Winkley's and only found the non-gmo starter feed. It is great to know someone close.

Hello all, newbie from the Panhandle here. Thank you all for the great advice and stories you post. I've been reading like crazy the past month, trying to learn all I could before I got my 4 pullets. Anybody else from the Panhandle?

If you are looking for GMO free feed, also soy free, check out Texas Natural Feeds and H and H Feeds. Both are Texas based companies, and I believe they have a retailer search on their websites. If I remember correctly H and H will even ship if you do not have a local retailer nearby. There are threads concerning both on BYC. I am using the Texas Natural Feeds currently. I have also used the H and H chick starter.

Thanks so much, I will look into them.

Hello! Welcome! We are pretty close. You have good resources around in Liberty Hill -Georgetown for feed places and You are also close to micro breweries:) Good Luck! Your place sounds wonderful. If you want a 6 month old red cap pretty boy you can have mine:) cheers!

Hi there Morrison610,

I was not aware of the microbreweries, will have to check those out. We just picked up 2 week old chicks and we are not sure of the sex yet. I appreciate the offer for the red cap, but until I know how many roosters I already have, I don't want to add another. I will check with you if we wind up with all hens though :)

With all the good comes bad. I lost my entire pheasant flock, and most of my bob whites today to my own dogs. Well, my husbands dogs. The new flight pen had a quail sized hole, and, apparently they found it for me. I've been picking bodies up for over an hour. Still can't find how they got out. Sickening.

Can't help it. The dogs did as they were trained to do and killed.

Sorry for your losses. It is tough to keep birds safe. They aren't the wisest animals.

David,

Good news is the breeder I got my originals from is sending me chicks. I'll be meeting him next Friday in Tomball to pick up replacements free of charge. All I have to do is bring him guinea eggs, I just happen to already have three dozen collected. By next Friday he'll be over run with guinea eggs to set. LOL.

Trying to keep my chin up. John had to put me back together after I pieced all of my birds back and put them in the larvae bin. At least something will get use of them. I wont let them waste... I was tempted to bury them though.

Had a covey of Bobs come out and say hello to me an hour or so after I picked up carnage. So there's survivors to recover.

I'm still heart broken and convinced this place has a setback curse. Everytime we get a foot forward we're given a heavy load.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

So sorry to hear that I wish I could tell you how to mend a broken even terrorized heart. But I havent figured it out yet. I am so sorry for your loss.

Hello all, newbie from the Panhandle here. Thank you all for the great advice and stories you post. I've been reading like crazy the past month, trying to learn all I could before I got my 4 pullets. Anybody else from the Panhandle?

Pull up a chair and have some fun.
Have you decided on a flock yet?
Tell us all about it!
pop.gif

Thank you all for your kind words. There's nothing to replace a loss, of any kind, except going forward. It still is heart breaking when you lose a bird, or birds, but we can't dwell on these losses.

I wish I could say they get easier with time for all of you new folks. It doesn't. The day I stop caring is the day I give up poultry for good.

Back
Top Bottom