Texas

Well, had a friendly meeting with the TAHC guy. He just wanted to count chickens, to follow up from TAMU and he did. Left me a packet of information and card with any questions. He liked what he saw. Everyone that comes out comments that we have a nicer set up than most folks they go and examine. It makes me wonder what on earth is going on out there? I guess they like the various coops that are built to keep the birds in and the fenced area to let them free range too when they are out of their coops. So, on to NPIP. I am looking forward to it.
thumbsup.gif

It is a beautiful day near Houston TX so I figured I would take my 2 week old chicks out to play in the yard for a bit. Encountered a few problems. First, one started panting a little after maybe 15 minutes of being outside (had water and had drank). This weather is NOT HOT (75) especially compared to our summers. Do they pant when nervous or were they hot? I put them in the shade and they stopped but how do I get them used to hot weather?

welcome-byc.gif
I'm sorry I can't answer your question but I can say mine do not pant. I'm sure someone more experienced will reply. Good luck.
The weather service is predicting heavy flooding rains and thunderstorms for West Central Texas starting Sunday night into Monday. Have a plan B ready.
O MY
ep.gif
Y'all stay safe!

So what is the purpose of counting chickens? Do they come out and count chickens yearly or what? Why are they involved if the poultry folks from TAMU are the ones doing the testing and such?
He wanted to verify the number of chickens my wife had estimated, and told me everything was great if I wanted to sell off the property it was fine. I told him that I was applying for NPIP, and that was fine, he left me a card, and said all there was left was to fill out the form. He left a packet for those new to the process of having poultry and his card for any questions. He was a former tick rider for those that know what that means. I used to run into tick riders while working the Border, so we traded a few stories of being shot at by our "friendly" neighbors t the South. He was off to make sure some of the local venues were following the law. He advised against bringing birds the swamp meet and trade days, because there are some folks that weren't in compliance that were selling their livestock. I told him, I didn't mind going to those, but I wasn't about to risk my NPIP once I have it by bringing home strange birds.

I simply let him know I planned on dealing with fertile eggs/chicks auctions, shows, etc. He seemed to think that was fine. The visit lasted maybe 15 minutes.

Anyone in San Antonio have an incubator up and running or a Broody hen wanting to hatch something? I have a predicament, I got a fertilized egg from an amazing set of Japanese bantams and I come home to find my hen no longer broody! I don't own an incubator and don't know what to do!

I'm south of San Antonio, but go into the southeast side of town everyday. My bator is pretty full, but I can always find room for "just one more".

The weather service is predicting heavy flooding rains and thunderstorms for West Central Texas starting Sunday night into Monday. Have a plan B ready.
barnie.gif
I KNOW!! I am supposed to drive to Cameron (60 miles) on Wednesday to get ducks! Hope the weather is over by then. My husband is NOT happy about us driving in the weather! We'll see! Everyone be safe!

He wanted to verify the number of chickens my wife had estimated, and told me everything was great if I wanted to sell off the property it was fine. I told him that I was applying for NPIP, and that was fine, he left me a card, and said all there was left was to fill out the form. He left a packet for those new to the process of having poultry and his card for any questions. He was a former tick rider for those that know what that means. I used to run into tick riders while working the Border, so we traded a few stories of being shot at by our "friendly" neighbors t the South. He was off to make sure some of the local venues were following the law. He advised against bringing birds the swamp meet and trade days, because there are some folks that weren't in compliance that were selling their livestock. I told him, I didn't mind going to those, but I wasn't about to risk my NPIP once I have it by bringing home strange birds.

I simply let him know I planned on dealing with fertile eggs/chicks auctions, shows, etc. He seemed to think that was fine. The visit lasted maybe 15 minutes.

That is just too weird. Makes no sense to have someone from a different agency come out to do that - not cost effective at all. Which makes me very suspicious about what is really going on. Appreciate the info from you.

Hey Guys, I am near Gilmer, Texas. Just starting my flock with 4 Barred Rocks and 4 NH reds. I have 2 mutts and I am about to go out and finish my fencing to add some goats.

Just wanted to say Hi and intro myself to the state group.

I'm south of San Antonio, but go into the southeast side of town everyday. My bator is pretty full, but I can always find room for "just one more".

Thank you but I must gave forgotten that my hen is always in momma mode! All I had to do was put the eggs in the box and show them to her and she immediately sat on them and tucked em under her! I remember why I don't have an incubator, cause I have an adorable, breathing one in the backyard!

Hey Guys, I am near Gilmer, Texas. Just starting my flock with 4 Barred Rocks and 4 NH reds. I have 2 mutts and I am about to go out and finish my fencing to add some goats.

Just wanted to say Hi and intro myself to the state group.
welcome-byc.gif
Glad to meet you. I am in Ledbetter (between Houston and Austin on 290). I have 2 ducks. Adding 5 ducklings on Wednesday! Again...welcome!

Back
Top Bottom