Texas

I am going to try sand in my coops to help the fly problem, and pots planted with rosemary, and basil which are supposed to repel flies. It is worth a shot.

I am going to try sand in my coops to help the fly problem, and pots planted with rosemary, and basil which are supposed to repel flies. It is worth a shot.
I use hay. It is easier to clean. Now, I will put down a base layer of diatamacious earth. It dries out bugs sand mites. Also, a little in their food will act as a natural de-worrmer.

I have only used aspen shavings. We are in town. I will have to try hay. I was scared to use it because I was told if you live in a humid climate it will grow a fungus that is harmful to chickens. It is not uncommon for our humidity to be above 60 percent. They said the sand would dry up the poop, and then I could use a sand sifting shovel to scoop it.

I have only used aspen shavings. We are in town. I will have to try hay. I was scared to use it because I was told if you live in a humid climate it will grow a fungus that is harmful to chickens. It is not uncommon for our humidity to be above 60 percent. They said the sand would dry up the poop, and then I could use a sand sifting shovel to scoop it.
We live in East Texas (Livingston) and it is very humid and rains like cats and dogs. It is just a matter of maintaining it. It is just a lot easier to scoop us in a wheel barrel when it is hay.

I use everything I can to eliminate flies around the barn. I have a spray system. I use fly predators. I try and keep it cleaned up, dry and spread away from the barn. I use fly bait. It is a never-ending battle...

I use everything I can to eliminate flies around the barn. I have a spray system. I use fly predators. I try and keep it cleaned up, dry and spread away from the barn. I use fly bait. It is a never-ending battle...

Where do you get your fly predators, and what do you use?

(I looked this up once, but I think I got confused by the options...)

- Ant Farm

My poor dumb chickens don't seem to understand that they can go back in their house, the duck house or under shelter to get out of the rain! The kicker is that they will only lay in the duck or chicken house so they know it's there.

My poor dumb chickens don't seem to understand that they can go back in their house, the duck house or under shelter to get out of the rain! The kicker is that they will only lay in the duck or chicken house so they know it's there.

One of my Speckled Sussex insists on making her own nest in "the wild" and escaping her paddock every day to lay in it (I finally gave up put fake eggs in it and just collect each newly laid egg so she doesn't go and find a new nest to lay in that I can't find). She knows how to get back into her paddock - I find her at home like she should be at the end of the day, and yet her egg has been laid out there - on weekends, I catch her at it.

Anywho, this evening I was tending the Little's growout pen and up walks poor Dotty, soaking wet. She was looking at me like "Please make it stop being wet from the sky, Mommy!" But did she go back to her home coop? Nope...
he.gif

Had to carry her wet butt back home to her worried rooster Tank, who was beside himself wondering where she was.
big_smile.png

- Ant Farm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom