Texas

7 eggs in 4 days!!! I'd say that's pretty good
smile.png

Sorry guys, I'm sure I'll eventually stop with the egg reports!
my kids have to show me EVERY egg they find, do a size comparison, decide which chicken laid which egg, based on size, then compare them to the day before.. then do it all over again to dad.

LOL

my kids have to show me EVERY egg they find, do a size comparison, decide which chicken laid which egg, based on size, then compare them to the day before.. then do it all over again to dad.

LOL
I think that is so cute!!! The kids being involved with the chickens - and approaching it analytically. I just love it. haha I do nearly the same thing when time permits.
lau.gif

7 eggs in 4 days!!! I'd say that's pretty good :)

Sorry guys, I'm sure I'll eventually stop with the egg reports!

LOL
My kids fight over who get to pick up the eggs first and who gets to hold them walking back to the house. We have lost quite a few eggs due to this but they have yet to lose interest in collecting eggs. Depending on the color and size we can all tell who laid what. We have been getting eggs for about a 1 1/2 years and if anything I think my 3 year old gets more excited each day.

I think that is so cute!!! The kids being involved with the chickens - and approaching it analytically. I just love it. haha I do nearly the same thing when time permits.
lau.gif
Yes, they LOVE the chickens. I'm trying to "bond" to a couple of my EE chickens (there's a silver one that's taken a particular shine to me, she's the first one to jump out of the bin when I take the baby gate off the top out. to come see me.) I tried the dog crate, and apparently, they can squeeze through the tiny bar's... so I'm going to have to trade crates with my boston terrier, and give him the wire crate to put them in the plastic one in another week or so.

I like seeing their excitement over the eggs. If it wasn't such a pain in the *** for me to go out there and climb over 4-5 gates and squeeze into a slightly too small door for a grown up, to get the eggs, I'd probably go collect them myself too. LOL

I'm hoping the second coop will be designed for "easier access for mom" so I can enjoy collecting eggs occasionally too. :p

My kids fight over who get to pick up the eggs first and who gets to hold them walking back to the house. We have lost quite a few eggs due to this but they have yet to lose interest in collecting eggs. Depending on the color and size we can all tell who laid what. We have been getting eggs for about a 1 1/2 years and if anything I think my 3 year old gets more excited each day.
Mine definitely fight over the eggs. We are going to have two coops with egg layers, so I can assign each kiddo a coop to collect the eggs from. hopefully that will stop their fighting. hahaha

A few years ago I fell in love with chickens. Last year we were going on vacation and I needed the chicken area for our Great Danes so for some crazy reason I sold them all!
1f631.png
Ticks have been out of control this year in our yard, we try to avoid chemicals with our dogs as much as possible but we've treated the yard three times and the dogs, which is something we've never done, and my husband still had a tick on his sock after being outside Friday. So Saturday we bought 6 pullets and 2 guineas, this morning I ordered 20+ chicks from Ideal. I'm remembering now why I sold them, I have no self control when it comes to chickens!!! Lol

Last edited:
A few years ago I fell in love with chickens. Last year we were going on vacation and I needed the chicken area for our Great Danes so for some crazy reason I sold them all!
1f631.png
Ticks have been out of control this year in our yard, we try to avoid chemicals with our dogs as much as possible but we've treated the yard three times and the dogs, which is something we've never done, and my husband still had a tick on his sock after being outside Friday. So Saturday we bought 6 pullets and 2 guineas, this morning I ordered 20+ chicks from Ideal. I'm remembering now why I sold them, I have no self control when it comes to chickens!!! Lol
We have to use flea/tick/heartworm medication. The oral stuff works well for big dogs, and really works down here.

I'm remembering now why I sold them, I have no self control when it comes to chickens!!! Lol
That sickness is perfectly normal .... to all of us

Wow, it gone to rain every day for the next ... who knows how many days. I start worrying about 1 of my hens setting on the ground. Although the ground still dry at her nest, yesterday I moved all eggs into a nest box and put it back where her ground nest was. She did not come in. So I had to put the eggs back into ground nest. She got back into this ground nest immediately. During all of this, she pecked me and broke 1 egg ... sic

Rain, rain go away, come again another day
My chicken wants to play, rain rain go away

That sickness is perfectly normal .... to all of us

Wow, it gone to rain every day for the next ... who knows how many days. I start worrying about 1 of my hens setting on the ground. Although the ground still dry at her nest, yesterday I moved all eggs into a nest box and put it back where her ground nest was. She did not come in. So I had to put the eggs back into ground nest. She got back into this ground nest immediately. During all of this, she pecked me and broke 1 egg ... sic

Rain, rain go away, come again another day
My chicken wants to play, rain rain go away
My garden and hay fields desperately needed the rain! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom