Texas

Has anyone be had any major problems with illness since all the rain?
I am near the gulf coast and the rain won't stop.
The sand in our coop/ run can't handle it either.
I have a hen that is ill(no idea what she has, could be botulism), and I assume with all the rain I am not the only one that has had this.
With all the rain, come the mosquitoes... so Avian Pox worked it's way through my flock. Luckily, they seemed none the worse for wear, other than egg production suffering for a few weeks. I hated that they had to get it, but there's not much that can be done about it. It's just one of those things... On a good note, similar to our own chicken pox, they build an immunity to it and won't be suffering it again. Hope you get some relief soon and your girl gets better.

Last edited:
Anyone have any suggestions for integrating a single hen into a flock? A friend is moving to an apartment and wants to give me her hen. I originally was going to put it with the teenagers for a week or two, so the hen could have it's own group to be with before going with the main flock, but now the dates have changed and she's not going to bring the hen over for another 2 weeks. My teen chicks (june hatch) are starting to get into trouble in their small section of the coop, so I really want to merge them with the main group now.

We go no rain whatsoever in this last front go-round. Looks like we're going to have to turn the sprinklers back on as the grass is starting to look baked.

Well everyone I have exciting news, this morning we received a egg from one of our chickens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyPick

Anyone have any suggestions for integrating a single hen into a flock? A friend is moving to an apartment and wants to give me her hen. I originally was going to put it with the teenagers for a week or two, so the hen could have it's own group to be with before going with the main flock, but now the dates have changed and she's not going to bring the hen over for another 2 weeks. My teen chicks (june hatch) are starting to get into trouble in their small section of the coop, so I really want to merge them with the main group now.

We go no rain whatsoever in this last front go-round. Looks like we're going to have to turn the sprinklers back on as the grass is starting to look baked.

I normally will take a hen out of the flock and put it with the newbie for a while. Then once they have *bonded*, put them both back into the big group, after dark. If possible, I move the entire group to a new house after dark and then add the new back to the group. That way the house is new to everyone and when they wake up in the morning, they're so freaked out by a new environment that the newbie has a better chance of avoiding getting completely beat up by the others.

jumpy.gif
Hello all! New here! We are in Woodville, Texas (deep east). Just moved here a couple months ago on 11.5 acres from Houston. (So glad to be out!!)

Anyway, we'll be getting a flock very soon! Working on getting our coop/run ready! Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

jumpy.gif
Hello all! New here! We are in Woodville, Texas (deep east). Just moved here a couple months ago on 11.5 acres from Houston. (So glad to be out!!)

Anyway, we'll be getting a flock very soon! Working on getting our coop/run ready! Looking forward to chatting with everyone!
Welcome!!!
welcome-byc.gif

jumpy.gif

Hello from Rosenberg and WELCOME! I know how you feel. We lived in an RV Park for 5 years in Houston. (shudder...) We finally found our place on the other side of Rosenberg. PURE HEAVEN!! Ken can feel the pressure rolling off as he heads home. Nothing better than country living.

jumpy.gif

Hello from Pflugerville/Austin area.

Wow, 11.5 ac ... that's my dream ! Your chicken will have a deep thirst walking from one end to another

Back
Top Bottom