Texas

Yes, a move to the country brings peace and quiet and room to breath. But, a word of warning. It can also turn 5 hens into 72 assorted chickens, ducks and geese plus 7 dogs...and all the pleasure they bring.
You're not joking.

2 horses, 4+ goats, an assortment of chickens, plus ducks, turkey's and goose eggs set to go into the incubator. dogs, cats... and horses/ponies.

Very ambitious there! We bought our 10.5 acres, it was complete woods, it takes a LONG time to get everything like you want it. Well, septic, house, shop, 2 carports, and of course a duck enclosure!  We have been here 10 years and still there are things that we want to do.  Seems like the money runs out before we get the things done! LOL
Mandy

Oh isn't that the truth! I keep throwing ideas around in my head. I see so many people with breeder coops and their birds actually are in open air coops that the pens are probably more like 4x8 so I need to look I tot hat. Perhaps I could get away with one carport if I do that instead. Who knows. :) I would feel blessed to get my hands on 10 acres. That would be a dream come true! :)

Oh isn't that the truth! I keep throwing ideas around in my head. I see so many people with breeder coops and their birds actually are in open air coops that the pens are probably more like 4x8 so I need to look I tot hat. Perhaps I could get away with one carport if I do that instead. Who knows.
smile.png
I would feel blessed to get my hands on 10 acres. That would be a dream come true!
smile.png
We love it out here, we are way back on our property almost no one knows were are here. The 10 acres were totally wooded when we bought it, we cleared around 3 acres for our house and a house for my mom. The rest of the 10 acres is still wooded. I love it, but it comes with problems! Since there are woods close around we are having predators get the ducks. Right now we are fighting with a bobcat, I sure hope I win, it has gotten 5 of my 7 ducks! We have a trap out now, but so far no luck.

My ducks have a 10 x 10 enclosure that they stay in at night and free range during the day. The enclosure is a chain link dog run, you might be able to do something like that under your carport. But you will have to protect around the bottom and over the top. Predators will dig under the enclosure or climb into it from the top.

This is ours, just to give you an idea of how we did it.

Good luck!
Mandy

Checking in from Montgomery County, north of Houston. Trying to keep it simple on two acres. But, in four months I have accumulated two cali meat rabbit does and matching buck, two mini rex rabbit does and their buck, and one proud momma chicken with 8 chicks in tow. Add in one horse, three dogs, three kids, and one quasi-understanding wife. Yeah, simple.

Checking in from Montgomery County, north of Houston. Trying to keep it simple on two acres. But, in four months I have accumulated two cali meat rabbit does and matching buck, two mini rex rabbit does and their buck, and one proud momma chicken with 8 chicks in tow. Add in one horse, three dogs, three kids, and one quasi-understanding wife. Yeah, simple.
Yay for you ! -- living the simple life.
wink.png

now all you need are some ducks
big_smile.png

We love it out here, we are way back on our property almost no one knows were are here. The 10 acres were totally wooded when we bought it, we cleared around 3 acres for our house and a house for my mom. The rest of the 10 acres is still wooded. I love it, but it comes with problems! Since there are woods close around we are having predators get the ducks. Right now we are fighting with a bobcat, I sure hope I win, it has gotten 5 of my 7 ducks! We have a trap out now, but so far no luck.

My ducks have a 10 x 10 enclosure that they stay in at night and free range during the day. The enclosure is a chain link dog run, you might be able to do something like that under your carport. But you will have to protect around the bottom and over the top. Predators will dig under the enclosure or climb into it from the top.

This is ours, just to give you an idea of how we did it.

Good luck!
Mandy
I found a bobcat call online at Cabela's... hummmmmm
idunno.gif
We will win our wars.
hugs.gif

The neighbor has some ducks, so we're covered for now. The wife did say she wants a goose, though. Who knows...

Mandy, cats are notoriously hard to catch. Especially in anything but a well disguised foot trap. A hunt might be a better option if you are not experienced trappers. Dave Canterbury has some great modern trapping videos on YouTube.

I am really stumped as to what to do. I guess just keep an eye on the ducks. As it is I put them up around 4 just in case the bobcat decides to start up where it left off.
Mandy

Back
Top Bottom