Texas

------------------ Anyone else getting Dewberries?------------------------

Somehow I thought that they came in later -- but here they are. I nearly tried to rip up all the brambles about a month ago too -- and now I'm glad I didn't. Also my Magnolia tree is blooming -- isn't this a bit early? or is it just me?

Kind of looks like a Christmas tree -- must be 60' tall.....

I remember picking dewberries with my Grandpa. I think it is usually in March or April. I know Grandma would make dewberry cobbler, and if we found enough, dewberry jelly. We picked them out of ditches by the railroads. One of our neighbors dug up a few bushes from the ditch and planted them in a garden plot, and they did really well

I remember picking dewberries with my Grandpa. I think it is usually in March or April. I know Grandma would make dewberry cobbler, and if we found enough, dewberry jelly. We picked them out of ditches by the railroads. One of our neighbors dug up a few bushes from the ditch and planted them in a garden plot, and they did really well
We went out in the woods today and they were scattered everywhere there was sunlight -- and we got a couple of handfulls -- they seem exceptionally sweet and good this year. So it is the right time...someway I thought that they came in later. My friend who was with me was asking if they could grow in a garden - and you just answered that question. Thanks!

Notice anything missing?

Salt and Pepper....bacon?
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

We went out in the woods today and they were scattered everywhere there was sunlight -- and we got a couple of handfulls -- they seem exceptionally sweet and good this year. So it is the right time...someway I thought that they came in later. My friend who was with me was asking if they could grow in a garden - and you just answered that question. Thanks!

My mom, later on found some bushes to buy at Zimmer Nursery in Beeville. The ones in the ditches were off limits after she found out. I bet if you needed to, you could order them at a local nursery, or dig some up in the woods. Grandpa's friend did have to cover them with bird netting to keep the bird from eating all of the berries off the bushes in his garden.

Has anyone hatched and raised turkey poults? Are they always so mean? I have 2 that I hatched. 1 is attacking the other one, drug him by his neck across the brooder and then a few minutes later attacked his foot and knocked him over. I have them separated. Is this normal? They are not quite 3 days old!

Back
Top Bottom