Texas

I'm in Bulverde, TX. It's just North of San Antonio.

New member here! I'm west of Fort Worth!
frow.gif
Welcome hcozzie and PinkSunflower!! Come back and let us know what you are raising. We love pictures!

Anyone live around San Angelo. I was think of a potential move someday, so my retired 71 year old vet dad could be around the family and have and AF base to get to.

Has anyone hatched and raised turkey poults? Are they always so mean? I have 2 that I hatched. 1 is attacking the other one, drug him by his neck across the brooder and then a few minutes later attacked his foot and knocked him over. I have them separated. Is this normal? They are not quite 3 days old!
Turkeys are a lot more rough and tumble than chicks are. And they have a pecking order just like chickens have. It's a difference experience to get used to how turkey do compared to chickens - both as youngsters and adults. You should see my pen of bachelor toms - they look beat up all the time. They have never tried fighting to the death, but they do spar a lot and they tear feathers off and break off feathers and have injured each other. A couple of them right now have their heads and snoods scabbed over, looking like crap. Hard to say if your poults are just doing normal rough play or if it's a pecking order thing. But they are going to be different from chicks, for sure. You might try putting in toys for them to play with in case there is a boredom issue going on. Turkeys tend to get bored more easily than chickens do. Our poults enjoy playing with bright colored balls. I get them colored ping pong balls or safe cat dingly balls that they can't get the bell out of to choke on. Gives them something to do, as well as pulling up weeds and such and putting it in the brooder to play with and peck at.

Back
Top Bottom