Texas

Because of the north winds and chill I would suggest put my your run on the south side of the coop. We have two runs, both on the south with one extending to the west plus a separate coop and run for our Bantams also on the south side of our main coop/barn. We are in West Central Texas just north of Coleman Texas and get some really strong, nasty, icy cold winds here. Our flock of chickens, ducks and geese all do just fine even in the coldest part of winter with this set up. Also, as for trees, put them in the run inself on the south side of the coop so they can provide shade and shelter for your birds. 

Thanks for the responses! I forgot to mention the run will be covered I'm just afraid it won't be enough shade.

Also thanks for confirming it's best to put the run on the south side. That's what I thought but since I'm new to this rodeo it's nice to have feedback from those who have ore more experience.

Thanks again!

Rostercogburn,
I have always wanted a BLRW(not hatchery stock). I hatched a egg that I bought from Melinda at Seabreeze hens(she is wonderful by the way), however it hatched Black Laced (rooster).
I gave it to a friend who wanted him. He was beautiful, and now I wish I had kept him.
Oh, well!! He has a good home!!
I realize from the eggs I would get a 50% chance of having a blue, and 50% of Black Laced.
I realize I could just go back and buy more eggs, however I saw that add on Craigslist for Tamara farm in Crosby, then checked out her website and saw she has many different breeds.
I really don't need more chickens I just like to keep contacts in the back of my mind for the future. (Ha! Ha!!)

Welcome from north Texas. I have 2 sons going to A&M...whoop! If you don't have any chickens, you will sooner or later. They are so much fun to raise, incubate, and enjoy. I've been raising chickens for about 15 yrs. Just read some of the posts, and you'll realize you're missing out...lol

New to the forum. I live by Palo Pinto. Originally from Northern Wisconsin, hence my forum name TxYank. Looking forward to learning as much as I can about raising healthy laying hens in Texas. My biggest concerns will most likely be dealing with the summer heat.

New to the forum. I live by Palo Pinto. Originally from Northern Wisconsin, hence my forum name TxYank. Looking forward to learning as much as I can about raising healthy laying hens in Texas. My biggest concerns will most likely be dealing with the summer heat.
welcome-byc.gif

frow.gif
Welcome from Rosenberg!! It is about time you got to Texas.
wink.png

Rostercogburn,
I have always wanted a BLRW(not hatchery stock). I hatched a egg that I bought from Melinda at Seabreeze hens(she is wonderful by the way), however it hatched Black Laced (rooster).
I gave it to a friend who wanted him. He was beautiful, and now I wish I had kept him.
Oh, well!! He has a good home!!
I realize from the eggs I would get a 50% chance of having a blue, and 50% of Black Laced.
I realize I could just go back and buy more eggs, however I saw that add on Craigslist for Tamara farm in Crosby, then checked out her website and saw she has many different breeds.
I really don't need more chickens I just like to keep contacts in the back of my mind for the future. (Ha! Ha!!)

I do have an all black Americauna hen. I had to take her from the Blue Americana pen, because they picked on her. So, she makes Olive Eggers for me. She made me three that lay 2 generation OE's for me in the Black Copper Marans coop. The first generations came out all black with feathered legs. We were using them for eating eggs, but I am considering hatching second generation. She generates first generation OE's, but her offspring that lay OE's are being fertilized by French Black Copper Marans which would make those eggs second generations.

Back
Top Bottom