Texas

Hey y'all. I've been a member since 2015, but this is the first time I've checked out the Texas forum. I'm Texas born & raised. I live about 35 miles northwest of the outskirts of Houston. Been married forever (45 yrs). So I have 1 husband; 1 rooster; 9 layin' hens; a yellow Lab and a Shorty JRT. I live in the country and everyone I've listed here has lots of room to free range.View attachment 1084042

I found this thread by accident and I'm glad I did. We are out in Rockwall County. 3 cats, 1 Lab, 4 chickens and 1 husband.

:welcome

Don't get me wrong! I'm grateful to him. But these chicks in a brooder for almost a month are getting on my nerves. I've given them as much space as possible, but any more and I'll be building a duplicate run in the sunroom. :rolleyes: :cool:

Having 17 of them outdoors and 8 troublemakers in the brooder has worked. Thank goodness for small favors.

I built a brooder box that is big enough for my wife to lay down in. This has allowed me to use it as a grow out as well, so they are fairly large when introduced to the flock.

Since I don't have an existing flock and don't expect to be hatching or rearing chicks but once every couple of years, I can't really justify building a permanent brooder or grow out pen. Maybe by next year I'll change my mind, or think about meat birds. For now though, it just wouldn't make sense for my situation. All the rain and saturated ground set us up for a late start on everything this year. Living on the side of a hill makes things very interesting too. I've moved more dirt in the past few years than in all the rest of my years combined! And they say Texas is a flat treeless state. :lau

Since I don't have an existing flock and don't expect to be hatching or rearing chicks but once every couple of years, I can't really justify building a permanent brooder or grow out pen. Maybe by next year I'll change my mind, or think about meat birds. For now though, it just wouldn't make sense for my situation. All the rain and saturated ground set us up for a late start on everything this year. Living on the side of a hill makes things very interesting too. I've moved more dirt in the past few years than in all the rest of my years combined! And they say Texas is a flat treeless state. :lau

Oh, the land slopes fine. Some of the lower elevation coops, kept getting built up with gravel and sand, but with the torrents lately, it hasn't helped. Some places we took the precaution of putting up sand bags.

It hasn't got that bad here yet. Nothing that shouldn't has had standing water. Nothing flooded but the dry creek bed and it's supposed to take that water, worked perfectly so far. But I did notice the neighbors behind and uphill of me reworked their terracing leading right to my back fence line. Heard them shoveling gravel too. Guess I can look forward to an increase in runoff from their property. I already built so many French drains, a pond system, and a dry creek that's been staying more wet than dry for the past year. I figure if I put in much more drainage, I'll run out of land! At least I know I'll always have water.

Hope you can stay above water.

alright...i have two more ~5 month old cocks that have to go. i don't want to get rid of them, but i can't have them in the city limits.

both are rhode island reds, and both are friendly, well-fed, and great looking birds.

these guys are already some big studs, are going to be huge, and i hate having to part with them.

looking for someone who'd like some magnificent birds to raise. i'm in south central texas, near san antonio...

thanks.

Back
Top Bottom