Texas

We got three 5mth olds from Callahan's and we've had them about a month now and they are laying eggs so far we have three hens and got our 1st egg on the 12th. Mike at Callahan's was very helpful and patient with all our questions. If you want chicks either Callahan's or Buck Moore are good places to go.

Good Luck and
welcome-byc.gif
from Lockhart TX

Hi Texas Folks! I'm brand new to the community, but have been reading tons on here for a while. BYC is awesome for information for newbies like me!! We are ready to get our first chicks hopefully this week and will pick up our coop/nestingbox/run tomorrow. We live on two acres, but we want to start out small with four chickens. The run is only about 5x6, so we'll probably eventually expand it, but they'll have plenty of opportunity to enjoy our land. Here's my question: I originally planned to get pullets that were close to laying age. But it seems like most availability around here are chicks. I'm open to this, but wonder where the best place is to get 4 chicks. I have 3 daughters who would really like to "pick out" their own chicks, so someplace drive-able is preferred over ordering online. Any recommendations for a place to buy from a reputable source in Central Texas? I see a lot of you are from this area. I'm just north of Austin. Thanks for any help you can give me!!!
big_smile.png

Howdy ya'll, I am new here as well as new to raising chickens here at the ol homestead. I live just south of Richards about 18 miles west of Huntsville. Started with 7 chickens. Presents from my wonderful hubby. We built a chicken run and coop, raised our chicks to about 3 months old. Now thanks to one of our dogs, I only have 1 chicken remaining. Cant even say how devastated we are about our loss.
barnie.gif

Now the bb gun sits next to the door at the back deck which looks out at our chicken area. One false move and she will feel the sting of what a bb gun can do.

I am not deterred though. I cant wait for Montgomery county trade days to come so I can hopefully begin replacing my flock. So glad to find BYC especially the Texas section. I hope to learn alot from everyone here. Any thoughts on breeds of chickens that can best tollerate our heat?

Howdy ya'll, I am new here as well as new to raising chickens here at the ol homestead. I live just south of Richards about 18 miles west of Huntsville. Started with 7 chickens. Presents from my wonderful hubby. We built a chicken run and coop, raised our chicks to about 3 months old. Now thanks to one of our dogs, I only have 1 chicken remaining. Cant even say how devastated we are about our loss.
barnie.gif

Now the bb gun sits next to the door at the back deck which looks out at our chicken area. One false move and she will feel the sting of what a bb gun can do.

I am not deterred though. I cant wait for Montgomery county trade days to come so I can hopefully begin replacing my flock. So glad to find BYC especially the Texas section. I hope to learn alot from everyone here. Any thoughts on breeds of chickens that can best tolerate our heat?

Welcome to chicken raising and glad you've found BYC and the Texas Thread.
I've been raising chickens since 2000 and found BYC in 2009. I've learned more in the last few years from BYC than all the years before. Glad to have you!!!
Ameracauana and Easter Eggers have done well for me....my black copper marans have handled the heat too.
I do have fans in my coop during the summer and shallow water pans, so the girls can wade and cool their feet when the weather gets really intense.
Glad to have you join us!!!
smile.png

Sure thing! :)
I remember 6 years ago when my son and I went to the feed store to get a few chicks... we still have 8 of those sweet girls... plus many many (oh so very many) more.
I know you all are going to really enjoy your chicks!
Amy

Thanks so much hipeatail!!!

Hi ya'll

I'm new to BYC, and from Magnolia TX!.

I've been considering raising chicken for over a year now,my husband is slowly coming around to the idea, but he's worried about Histoplasmosis, my 3 kiddos are so excited, my friends thinks I'm nuts and going through a mid life crisis, and our neighborhood is anti-Fowl. So I figured we would do just 2-3 Hens and hide them in our yard ;) illegally. We are in the process of having the Coop built, then we will be looking for our pullets, RIR, so if anyone in the area have any please let me know, otherwise we are getting them from Blue Star Ranch ;).

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi ya'll

I've been considering raising chicken for over a year now,my husband is slowly coming around to the idea, but he's worried about Histoplasmosis, my 3 kiddos are so excited, my friends thinks I'm nuts and going through a mid life crisis, and our neighborhood is anti-Fowl. So I figured we would do just 2-3 Hens and hide them in our yard ;) illegally. We are in the process of having the Coop built, then we will be looking for our pullets, RIR, so if anyone in the area have any please let me know, otherwise we are getting them from Blue Star Ranch ;).

Thank you!
Welcome to BYC and the Texas thread!! Glad to have you join us.
A number of years ago I had a cat that was diagnosed with histoplasmoisis, but she was never around my chickens...they were 30 miles apart. The Vet did talk about chickens being a cause, but as long as one uses common sense....washing hands and not breathing a bunch of chicken manure dust, all would be ok.
The cat lived in an old metal building that was known to have had mice and rats, which attracted chicken/rat snakes, but never where there chickens in that building. She was a 'rescue' cat, so I never knew what kind of life she had before I got her.
Best of luck with your new chicken adventure!! I know you and the kids will have lots of fun.
smile.png

WelcometoBYC.gif

Hi ya'll

Thank you!

All righty poultry ( and other animal owning ) peeps! - Saturday, May 12th, is 'pet days' at the Huntsville, TSC. If you're interested in coming out and setting up a booth, feel free! PM me for my email address and I can get all those interested information on what we're looking for.

Trying to get a petting zoo, pony rides, rescues/adoptions going.

All righty poultry ( and other animal owning ) peeps! - Saturday, May 12th, is 'pet days' at the Huntsville, TSC. If you're interested in coming out and setting up a booth, feel free! PM me for my email address and I can get all those interested information on what we're looking for.

Trying to get a petting zoo, pony rides, rescues/adoptions going.

Sounds fun but thats about 3hrs away for us so bummed about that. Have fun hope all goes well.

Back
Top Bottom