Texas

Hey Everyone!!! Happy Friday!!! if y'all are in the area, come out to the LaGrange show tomorrow and track me down :) I'd love to me other BYC people.

We were planning on going but $100 for a family of four to get in is a lil expensive since we only really want to see the poultry. :(
Good Luck if your showing and i hope you post some pictures for us.

Hey Everyone!!! Happy Friday!!! if y'all are in the area, come out to the LaGrange show tomorrow and track me down :)  I'd love to me other BYC people. 

So was that you with the trophies for the BCM? I was only there an hour or so and didn't mingle as much as I wanted, but I did meet Angie and Neil from Fowlrus. Just didn't feel right to run around screaming, "ANYONE HERE FROM BYC?" hahaha.

Last edited:
I got there on noon Saturday and they were letting people in for free. It was only $15 for one day and under 11 are free any time.

That $100 must have been for the whole fair. It was $25 a person for a pass for all 4 days.

Last edited:
Well we looked it up and thats what it said...oh well maybe next year. But $60 is still alot for a family of four, my kids are way over the age of 11 haha.
Well I hope those who went post some pictures.

Hello to everyone and welcome to all the new members. I am just north of Beaumont in Kountze. I haven't been on in a good while. I am the one that thought my RIR had canker. Drove all the way to Houston to get meds. Well, about a wk or so after taking medicine, I noticed she had a piece of thread dangling in the back of her throat. All this time it wasn't canker but a piece of thread that was wrapped too tight around the base of her tongue. I had tube feed her, qtipped meds under her tongue and was looking in her mouth daily but never saw any thread under her tongue. I quickly snipped it to get it out. She had lost some of the outer edges and the tip of her tongue to infection. She still eats but had to learn how to make it to the back of her throat. She is old enough to eat laying pellets and she can manage those fine. She can peck at grass and eat it now, too. I felt so bad for her. It is a miracle the infection didn't kill her. I am so glad that she isn't living off of moistened bread and ramon noodles anymore. She couldn't manage to get the crumbles far enough back to swallow them. I have another update. All the meat birds from my neighbor's flock(you know the one I was always complaining doesn't take care of his chickens) have died from infections because of males fighting and females having sores on their backs from too aggressive teenager roos. I tried to help a few but when I put them back into his yard he didn't take care of them. I even told him what meds to use on the sores, etc. Now, he has the game rooster(father to my 8 white sultan/game mixes), two white hens that I believe might be California whites and a sultan hen(mom to the 8). He didn't want any of the chicks so I kept them. There are 5 pullets and 3 roos. They will be 4 months old next wk. My 2 RIRs, 2 BRs and 2 EEs will be 5 months old in 2 wks. Got the nesting boxes ready. I bought 2 silkies the day I drove to Houston to get the meds. A blue and a black. The blue is a male and the black is female. They are non-bearded. I lost the female two days ago. Broke my heart and the male is lonely. He stays in his own cage since the flock won't accept him. He is about a little over 2 months old. I have to go to Houston Friday so I will see if I can get him a few friends. She was so beautiful and I would have loved to see what she would have looked like full grown. The blue male is nice looking but hasn't got all his feathering in yet. Still looks a little rough around the edges. Doesn't help that he lost some feathers when his lady died. A stray dog somehow tore the wire loose under their cage. They had no fear of dogs so they jumped out. My dog is friendly to them. Well, the stray broke her neck I guess from playing with her because she had no bite marks anywhere. She wasn't missing any feathers either. The male was missing and I thought the dog ate it. Later that evening, when I was letting the flock run around in the back yard, he came out of the woods. I was so happy to see him. He was so happy to see me that he let me hold him without running from me. Now, he thinks I am his buddy. Follows me everywhere in the yard when I let him out. Poor fellow. I named him Lucky cuz he sure is lucky to be alive. Sorry for the long post. :caf

PS. chicklettesarge, if you are around lurking, I hope you are still going to vet tech school.

I almost forgot. All his chickens still run loose around my back yard all day. The hens lay in some nesting boxes that I have in an old cage that I leave the door propped open. I asked him if he wanted the eggs but he declined. I guess I get to reap the rewards since they like to fertilize my yard all day. Maybe, these will stay healthy since they free range unlike his others that all died and were confined to a run without proper care. :( I keep all my flock in a coop and run except for the silkie. He is in a big cage near their pen. I do let them out daily to run around but only when supervised by me. I can't believe how big they all have gotten. :D

Last edited:
Welcome back and so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were able to find the thread I don't think any of our 7 hens would ever allow us to see down their throats. They allow us to hold them and pet them but they are like our cats it on their terms and when they are done with us they let us know.

Oh, it wasn't easy getting her beak open enough to see. Was so worried that I was going to mess up her top beak. Most of the time I had to hold a flashlight on my shoulder with my cheek to be able to use both hands. Sometimes, I held her wrapped in a towel. I think she got tired of fighting me so it got easier with time. She hasn't had it done in about 2 wks so I am sure she would really fight me if I tried it now. :lol:

Here is Minnie now finally gaining some weight:

Here is Lucky with feathers missing on his lower back by tail, some on his wing and lower rear. He is still getting his feathers in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom