Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Don't beat yourself up about Theo ManueB; your intentions were good and the boys will scrap. I hope he gets over it quickly.
A french saying that I think works as an exact equivalent in English : hell is paved with good intentions😊. I'm not beating myself up because I think he will get over it, but it could have easily been avoided.
While I was unloading the car the day before yesterday, I was surprised to see Chirk run past with Killay in pursuit. Evidently one or more of the roos had got in with Chirk while I was out. I found him later hiding where Sven used to hide from him (irony), but he didn't want to be 'rescued' then. He turned up for tea, and walked back into the pen and coop, but he didn't leave the coop all day yesterday. I found several gaps in the netting and secured them, but his confidence is no doubt shaken by the unexpected loss of security. He's eating inside the coop, but it may take a while before his confidence is restored enough to come out.
First, I also hope you don't feel too bad about it ! I am constantly amazed at how important stress and it's opposite mental well-being are important for chicken's health. I have always believed in holistic approaches for human medicine and that it was a mistake to think that physical issues could be treated without taking into account feelings, or psychology, or whatever. And seeing the chickens it's amazing how true that is on a very basic, instinctive level. Going back to Chirk, likely it will take him a number of days with no breaks in his enclosure to believe he is safe indeed.
It was mainly Theo who made a sad mistake. Chickens have to figure out themselves what is stupid and what is wise within the pecking order. You just cant protect Theo or any other chicken 24/7.
No, I think that's unfair to Théo. I have never locked him up with the whole chicken squad including Gaston during the day, and only once in the morning we didn't open the run while we were away ; there was no way he could expect it. When the two roosters stay together in the coop and run because of bad weather, the door is always open and Théo can run out in the rain /snow whenever he feels afraid.
Theo probably learned his lesson now to stay away from Gaston during the day, even if there are treats.
If the problems between your 2 roosters get really nasty, I think I would try to rehome one of them. Easily said, because I don’t have roosters and only have gathered a little knowlegde with reading.
It has gotten a whole lot better than it was. The only problem is if we want to go away before or after roost time which would mean locking them together like this, which does not work. If we leave during the day Théo can stay outside.
Btw: You do a great job to heal his wounds like a real expert! 👩‍⚕️🩹❤️‍🩹
Not really, since the bleeding didn't stop. And I wasn't surprised because applying pressure on the tip of a nail can't really be as effective as on a wound on skin ! In retrospect I think doing a dressing would have helped more.

Anyway Théo was a lot better this morning, but by no means back to normal. While he doesn't seem to be in schock anymore he had a lot of times out during the day, and he still stands on one foot. He had enough confidence to tidbit the hens and stay in the yard with Gaston. When he went on a hike with Piou-piou outside Mélisse and Annette followed him and of course Gaston quickly came to get his hens back.

We are having a few beautiful days with a lot of strong wind, which is really annoying for the chickens and for me, then it should rain again. So many raptors are flying over the place again ; I can now really see the difference between the four pullets hatched here in regard to free ranging. Mélisse and Annette are both very daring and more clever. They know how to watch for themselves. Lulu is constantly wanting to wander but she doesn't have a clue about how to go back or that she should be watching the sky when she is far from the roosters. And Laure doesn't care at all for free ranging. She prefers to be near Gaston and to be safe in the chicken yard. She has a very strongly established routine and she panicked if anything goes different.

We are swarmed in eggs, so we found another regular customer, the guy that repairs the bus at my partner's job. We are now selling 36 eggs a week, and getting around ten daily. It's a problem I didn't anticipate with having so many hens that are one and two years old. But I suppose they will lay a lot less in a year or two.

Blanche still has a bit of nice chicken times during the day, but she is declining. I am realising we will have only Nougat left of the ex-batt's when she passes. It will certainly feel very strange.
IMG_20240323_160050.jpg
IMG_20240323_151315.jpg
IMG_20240323_150606.jpg
IMG_20240323_150524.jpg
IMG_20240323_143951.jpg

Annette action shot.
IMG_20240323_160255.jpg
IMG_20240323_143941.jpg
IMG_20240323_110223.jpg
IMG_20240322_144323.jpg
IMG_20240322_143951.jpg

IMG_20240323_075728.jpg
IMG_20240322_192509.jpg

The English phrase "The way to hell is paved with good intentions" has a slightly different meaning - it is aimed as much at procrastinators as people who do something that turns out to be the wrong thing to do.
I think it works for both.

For future - do you have cornstarch in the house? It is a classic home remedy to stop bleeding.

Of course you know your chickens and roosters best. Let it be a comfort to know we all make mistakes.

Just an idea, maybe worthwhile to think about? :
To be able to go away from home it might be a good idea to make some kind of a wall in the coop, you can close and open whatever the situation is. Like creating 2 small connected rooms instead of one large room.

If Theo and Gaston are both in the coop during the day, make sure Theo is on one side and Gaston on the other side. Close the door in the wall in the day if you go away. If they free range and at night you can leave the connecting door open.

A french saying that I think works as an exact equivalent in English : hell is paved with good intentions😊. I'm not beating myself up because I think he will get over it, but it could have easily been avoided.

First, I also hope you don't feel too bad about it ! I am constantly amazed at how important stress and it's opposite mental well-being are important for chicken's health. I have always believed in holistic approaches for human medicine and that it was a mistake to think that physical issues could be treated without taking into account feelings, or psychology, or whatever. And seeing the chickens it's amazing how true that is on a very basic, instinctive level. Going back to Chirk, likely it will take him a number of days with no breaks in his enclosure to believe he is safe indeed.

No, I think that's unfair to Théo. I have never locked him up with the whole chicken squad including Gaston during the day, and only once in the morning we didn't open the run while we were away ; there was no way he could expect it. When the two roosters stay together in the coop and run because of bad weather, the door is always open and Théo can run out in the rain /snow whenever he feels afraid.

It has gotten a whole lot better than it was. The only problem is if we want to go away before or after roost time which would mean locking them together like this, which does not work. If we leave during the day Théo can stay outside.

Not really, since the bleeding didn't stop. And I wasn't surprised because applying pressure on the tip of a nail can't really be as effective as on a wound on skin ! In retrospect I think doing a dressing would have helped more.

Anyway Théo was a lot better this morning, but by no means back to normal. While he doesn't seem to be in schock anymore he had a lot of times out during the day, and he still stands on one foot. He had enough confidence to tidbit the hens and stay in the yard with Gaston. When he went on a hike with Piou-piou outside Mélisse and Annette followed him and of course Gaston quickly came to get his hens back.

We are having a few beautiful days with a lot of strong wind, which is really annoying for the chickens and for me, then it should rain again. So many raptors are flying over the place again ; I can now really see the difference between the four pullets hatched here in regard to free ranging. Mélisse and Annette are both very daring and more clever. They know how to watch for themselves. Lulu is constantly wanting to wander but she doesn't have a clue about how to go back or that she should be watching the sky when she is far from the roosters. And Laure doesn't care at all for free ranging. She prefers to be near Gaston and to be safe in the chicken yard. She has a very strongly established routine and she panicked if anything goes different.

We are swarmed in eggs, so we found another regular customer, the guy that repairs the bus at my partner's job. We are now selling 36 eggs a week, and getting around ten daily. It's a problem I didn't anticipate with having so many hens that are one and two years old. But I suppose they will lay a lot less in a year or two.

Blanche still has a bit of nice chicken times during the day, but she is declining. I am realising we will have only Nougat left of the ex-batt's when she passes. It will certainly feel very strange.
View attachment 3779500View attachment 3779501View attachment 3779502View attachment 3779506View attachment 3779508
Annette action shot.
View attachment 3779509View attachment 3779510View attachment 3779511View attachment 3779512View attachment 3779513
View attachment 3779525View attachment 3779526
That's a wonderful action shot!

So sorry about Theo's injury, but glad he's recuperating well. He's a resilient guy, but he's had more than his share of trouble lately.

For future - do you have cornstarch in the house? It is a classic home remedy to stop bleeding.
I used some. I dipped his finger in a small cup filled with cornstarch, but the bleeding didn't stop.
Of course you know your chickens and roosters best. Let it be a comfort to know we all make mistakes.

Just an idea, maybe worthwhile to think about? :
To be able to go away from home it might be a good idea to make some kind of a wall in the coop, you can close and open whatever the situation is. Like creating 2 small connected rooms instead of one large room.

If Theo and Gaston are both in the coop during the day, make sure Theo is on one side and Gaston on the other side. Close the door in the wall in the day if you go away. If they free range and at night you can leave the connecting door open.
A separation is an idea I thought about when they were really not getting along, but it's not really feasible with our coop for a number of reasons, the main one being that it's impossible to separate the entrance from the run to the coop.

My partner built a second coop in the run, and the wood shed can be used as a coop (when there are no fox in 🙄) but all of my chickens are really intent on sleeping together in the main coop, and Théo would likely hurt himself trying to escape if we locked him in either for the night.
That's a wonderful action shot!

So sorry about Theo's injury, but glad he's recuperating well. He's a resilient guy, but he's had more than his share of trouble lately.
His toe seems fine today, most of the time he stands on both feet and he doesn't limp anymore, but I don't think he is over it yet. At moments he is perfectly normal, and at others he just looks completely dazed and doesn't even react when I pick him up (normally when he sees my hand he either takes an attack stance and pecks it, or he jumps and run).

I think the best remedy for him may be when Piou-piou agrees to spend time with him away from Gaston.
IMG_20240324_150315.jpg
IMG_20240324_143227.jpg
IMG_20240324_142948.jpg
IMG_20240324_142530.jpg

We had two very rainy days, that were not much fun for the chickens. We have been having 250 ml of rain since the beginning of March which is about twice the usual, and we have again a heavy snow storm forecasted for next weekend (Easter). This should really help with the drought and filling up the underwater level !

I don't feel much like posting because every other day I think Blanche is going to die, and it's like I'm waiting to put her in the hole. I get some confort seeing that when she is better, she seems to enjoy herself.

Théo is getting slightly better, and also getting some confidence back. I was afraid he would be stuck outside in the rain but he actually spent quite a bit of time in the coop while Gaston was also there, and it mostly went fine.
IMG_20240325_080211.jpg

IMG_20240325_132931.jpg

IMG_20240327_090418.jpg

IMG_20240327_104811.jpg

This afternoon I took Blanche on the grass and she laid down like it was the end. Mélisse came over to check on her and lightly pecked her until she got up. It's the second time I see her do this ; the first was when Blanche was staying in a nest for hours and she went to talk to her until Blanche followed her down. It's strange because they are not friends at all and Mélisse is the lowest chicken in the pecking order.
IMG_20240327_105804.jpg

On a funnier note, Annette is the only chicken who dares lay in the broody devil Merle's nest. When I take Merle out and put her on the roost at night, all the other chickens move away. I can understand them because she is screaming all kind of hellish insults !
IMG_20240327_143121.jpg

This afternoon I took Blanche on the grass and she laid down like it was the end. Mélisse came over to check on her and lightly pecked her until she got up. It's the second time I see her do this ; the first was when Blanche was staying in a nest for hours and she went to talk to her until Blanche followed her down. It's strange because they are not friends at all and Mélisse is the lowest chicken in the pecking order.
Do you think Melisse does this because she sees an opportunity to rise up the ranks, or is pestering Blanche to stay awake/alive like a well-wisher dealing with an invalid?

I can; I was thinking of the alternate ends of the spectrum, to open discussion of what might motivate the behaviour.
I would prefer of course to think that Mélisse was trying to keep Blanche with the flock. Mélisse is rather gentle, which is probably why she gets bullied by everyone else. But it doesn't really make sense with the current dynamics where all the hens quarrel and bully the ones under them. Maybe it's just curiosity, or maybe there is a social logic I dont understand.

The rain turned to a bit of sluggish snow last night. Blanche ate a lot of it before it all melted away.
IMG_20240328_084841.jpg

A strange scene. Théo staying with Blanche in the coop while Gaston and Nougat come to check on broody Merle. (Nougat absolutely hates any broody hens).
IMG_20240328_094538.jpg
IMG_20240328_135547.jpg
IMG_20240328_135801.jpg
IMG_20240328_142328.jpg

Blanche got worse throughout the day. This her typical face now ; with her bad right eye closed.
IMG_20240328_142500.jpg
IMG_20240328_172841.jpg
IMG_20240328_142709.jpg
IMG_20240328_144321.jpg
IMG_20240328_150234.jpg

IMG_20240328_140315.jpg

Back
Top Bottom