Thanks for bein' here

Dockbum

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 6, 2014
I am new here and to chickenin' in general. We had chickens when I was little, but I had no responsibility with 'em.
I was given 3 orps (before I was ready) that just fed the hawks. Now my coop/run (12x48) is almost done and I got chicks on the way. I am here just make sure that I am prepared to give then the best chance possible.
Thanks for the info that I will take advantage of in this forun and the personal attention that you may give me in the future.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

So sorry for your losses. Just make sure you build the coop and run like fort knox. You may not be able to free range if you have high counts of predators in your area.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good information on building the coop, raising the babies and keeping your adult flock happy, healthy and safe from predators...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Sorry for your losses. Be sure and use hardware cloth, not chicken wire, when you build that new coop/run. Good luck with your flock.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

Hawk repellent cant just purchase this in a store ........

Coops need to be tight to keep the hawks out so use some good strong wire on top and have it reinforced with some kind of bracing as mother nature can also be harsh ......

Thanks for the encouragement. I have used hardware cloth from 1' below ground to 3' above then chicken wire above that due to cost. I intend to replace it later with more hardware cloth, but for now I am covering the roof with metal then I will refocus on the chicken wire. Thanks again.

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Sounds good, The hardware cloth will keep raccoons from reaching in and biting off any chicken parts they can snag. They are nasty predators and cause horrific injury/death.
The have opposable thumbs and can open any latches a human can. They climb, dig, jump down from tree branches and have infinite patience in stalking a meal.

Back
Top Bottom