Thanksgiving Turkey Processing

I had a farmer at the supply store tell me that they could eat the chicken stuff would just take a little longer to get to the weight and since my girls free range all day the turkeys and chickens were raised in the same area/house so the chance of getting black head is really low. according to the old farmer I have come to trust these old guys they seem to know what they are talking about

It is locally grown and free ranged, and yes, processed and oven ready. $5.95/lb. I wanted something way better than a grocery store bird, but when hubby came home with it and showed me the reciept, I did almost faint. I'd better not mess it up!

I do live in an expensive area though.

I grew Freedom Rangers this fall for $1.20/lb using turkey grower and free ranging. I'm pretty sure I can do turkeys for $1.50/lb.
So how do you figure your cost? anyone have a spread sheet they use?

I added up what I spent on feed, equipment, etc, I bought specifically to raise those birds. When I processed them, I weighed each bird after bagging it, added it up to see how many pounds of meat I had, and divided the pounds into my expenses and got the amount I spent per pound. Yes, it was higher than I can buy chicken at the store for, but the taste is priceless.

I really wished I had remembered to check this feed before Thanksgiving! We've had our own turkeys for the holidays now for the last 3 years!

What is the biggest turkey you've had? What is the smallest?? I've been reading others doing their birds in at about 8 months (usually what we do too), so , our biggest ever, was 44LBS (BBW Tom-8 months) and the very smallest was 20LBS (a bbw hen).

Fun stories. We've had all kinds of family memories with these birds. Toms chasing me and chasing my kids, Toms fighting, turkey fights, turkey eggs, laughing at the turkey "waddle". I think its hilarious now, we can't have a conversation outside without the "gobble" interference!!

We invested in a pot to dunk them in to get their feathers off quickly during processing!

My biggest was 25 pounds (hen BBB) I now know why the BBW's are the preferred bird, because of the pin feathers, not easy to remove and with the BBB looks like pimples, that was the part that grossed me out, not the cleaning or killing, it was like popping pimples on a bird
lau.gif
. I will have to get a pinning knife, how do you use one any way? If you haven't guessed it yes these were my first two turkeys ever. Will certainly get more in the spring.

We've had Bronze turkeys every year. First year we had BBW's. They are specifically "meat" turkeys. Every single one of ours have been fast growing, and the Toms have always been very impressive in size. I don't recall having so many pin feathers on the bronzes after we started dunking them?? The big guys we had to cut in half, and then also cut their leg off to cook. We always cook them in a turkey oven bag. One year, we didn't cut the leg off, and it caught fire in the oven.
lol.png
My kids like to retell that story.

It may be that I didn't get to dunk my birds very good they were too big for my turkey fryer pot and my canning pot, but I have a #10 wash tub for next year!!! That's funny I can image the retelling on that one funny

Metal 55 gallon drums should be pretty inexpensive and easy to find. My homemade scalder is just a 55 gal drum cut in half on a very sturdy stand with a propane burner underneath it. It will easily accommodate a very large turkey.

We went to a food service store (Cash & Carry - in Washington state), and bought the biggest pot they sold. I am not sure how big it is, but oh, has to hold WAY more than 5 gallons of water-possibly 10? It did cost over $100. I thought that was a lot, but considering the time it's saved us so far, probably well worth it! It would not fit on your stove at home, we use a "Camp Chef" propane stove. It fits great on that. We've been able to dunk turkeys as big as 44LBs (dressed weight, not actual weight) just fine.

Back
Top Bottom