That’s how having a senior dog goes

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
As some of y’all might know, I’ve got a very elderly mutt. He’s just hit 15 and is a part of our family. Today at his senior wellness checkup his SDMA levels in his blood were off the charts- regular is 14 units, worrisome area is 15-20 units, and his was 58 units. The vet said he’d never seen a number that high in all of his years. This can indicate kidney disease, but none of the other markers in his blood were consistent with that diagnosis, so they took a urine sample to do some more testing. They said it’d take around 45 minutes and they’d call with results. We went ahead and left then.

We then got a call that they were going to do some further testing on the urine. They’ll let us know tomorrow what they find. The receptionist’s tone was really disconcerting- her voice went down with the end of every sentence.

Old Boy’s quality of life is still good- he has dementia but he’s still happy, eating, drinking, chasing chickens, and getting zoomies. I guess the time will come sooner than I thought, but dang is it hard.

As some of y’all might know, I’ve got a very elderly mutt. He’s just hit 15 and is a part of our family. Today at his senior wellness checkup his SDMA levels in his blood were off the charts- regular is 14 units, worrisome area is 15-20 units, and his was 58 units. The vet said he’d never seen a number that high in all of his years. This can indicate kidney disease, but none of the other markers in his blood were consistent with that diagnosis, so they took a urine sample to do some more testing. They said it’d take around 45 minutes and they’d call with results. We went ahead and left then.

We then got a call that they were going to do some further testing on the urine. They’ll let us know tomorrow what they find. The receptionist’s tone was really disconcerting- her voice went down with the end of every sentence.

Old Boy’s quality of life is still good- he has dementia but he’s still happy, eating, drinking, chasing chickens, and getting zoomies. I guess the time will come sooner than I thought, but dang is it hard.
Hopefully all goes well.thats crazy high. I have a 12 year old saint bernard.

I have a couple senior citizen dogs as well, 17 and 12…the 17 year old is almost totally blind and partially deaf and the 12 year old can no longer use her back legs. They both wear diapers now and we just bought a doggie wheelchair…but they both just keep on going! Lots of life left in them but their bodies are failing them. It’s hard to have senior dogs, they just don’t live long enough 😢…I hope your doggie gets to be with you for a whole lot longer. :hugs

I spent several years working a with breed rescue and became the de facto "hospice home" for old and/or chronically ill dogs. Some people who are unwilling or unable to care for such dogs give them up, maybe because they can't afford the vet bills, maybe because they can't face the heartbreak. It's admirable that you are continuing to care for your Old Boy. He's a lucky dog. I hope he beats the odds and gets to spend lots more time with you.

Some of the dogs other people gave up on actually lived with me for a number of years, and I did my best to make those last years enjoyable for them. I've also had dogs that were originally my own who made it into double digits. But eventually, bodies break down.

In every case, there came a time when I knew it was time -- when their quality of life and/or their spirit was gone. It broke my heart every time, but I took come comfort in knowing their lives (and mine) were better because we spent time together.

Best wishes for you and your happy, beloved boy. Let us know what the vet office says, please.

:hugs

I have a couple senior citizen dogs as well, 17 and 12…the 17 year old is almost totally blind and partially deaf and the 12 year old can no longer use her back legs. They both wear diapers now and we just bought a doggie wheelchair…but they both just keep on going! Lots of life left in them but their bodies are failing them. It’s hard to have senior dogs, they just don’t live long enough 😢…I hope your doggie gets to be with you for a whole lot longer. :hugs
Thank you :hugs

Old Boy wears male wraps now. His dementia means that he’ll forget he’s not supposed to pee in the house, so we had to get him wraps.

Many people seem unaware that dogs can get dementia. Vets call it "canine cognitive disorder," and one of my old rescue girls had it. She would happily go outside to do her business and "forget" how to get back indoors. Miss Molly would just stand in the middle of the yard, looking puzzled.

Patience is never more of a virtue than when you are tasked with helping an old dog continue to live his or her best life. Sounds like Old Boy is a lucky dog.

Vet called yesterday, said that he’s definitely concentrating his urine which can indicate a kidney problem. He’s not acting sick, though, or else they’d bring him in to check for kidney or bladder stones. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom