The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had two firsts in this hatch... one chick must have pierced its yolk as it was the wettest stickiest thing ever. It's abit smaller than the others, as a result, but just as healthy. It'll get another sponge bath later.

The second one, I could do with some advice on. It was the last to hatch. It was the wrong way round, but popped out sometime this morning (just over 4 hours ago). It has some yolk sack still unabsorbed. It's currently alone in the incubator, but there's been no sign of it getting absorbed any more. The chick is cheeping loudly (all alone) and fluffy and dry. Will it take much longer? Do I need to keep humidity high while it absorbs the yolk?
There was no chance of putting it back in the shell it had just kicked itself out of. It must have been worried about getting left behind!

I've had two firsts in this hatch... one chick must have pierced its yolk as it was the wettest stickiest thing ever. It's abit smaller than the others, as a result, but just as healthy. It'll get another sponge bath later.

The second one, I could do with some advice on. It was the last to hatch. It was the wrong way round, but popped out sometime this morning (just over 4 hours ago). It has some yolk sack still unabsorbed. It's currently alone in the incubator, but there's been no sign of it getting absorbed any more. The chick is cheeping loudly (all alone) and fluffy and dry. Will it take much longer? Do I need to keep humidity high while it absorbs the yolk?
There was no chance of putting it back in the shell it had just kicked itself out of. It must have been worried about getting left behind!

It is time for the Sally Sunshine tea cup! Put the chick into a tea cup that allows it to push up and look around. It may absorb more that say and if there is a prolapse it will help it not get irritated.

If there is a prolapse, treat it with ant biotic ointment without iron or Verticyn.

It is time for the Sally Sunshine tea cup! Put the chick into a tea cup that allows it to push up and look around. It may absorb more that say and if there is a prolapse it will help it not get irritated.

If there is a prolapse, treat it with ant biotic ointment without iron or Verticyn.
Getting it out of the bator away from the humidity but still isolated will allow the yolk sack to finish drying & absorbing. The higher humidity is keeping everything too wet to do this.

Hope your baby makes it!!!

Quote: Well, I'm working on getting all of my ducks in a row for shipping eggs to Canada & UK, so hopefully next time you can join in contests for my eggs. Sorry about your losses. We seem to have had a rough time of it this hatch!!
This is simply AWESOME!! I eventually will need to learn this as well! but I need to dwindle this herd down and do my testing before anything! I plan on shipping to Ireland. YAY!

Good Morning All!!
frow.gif
caf.gif

Who doesn’t love seeing a mother hen with her chicks? Show us your best pictures of your Broody Hen and her babies.

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges

The Prize:
One Dozen “Rarest of the Rare” day old chicks
donated by Greenfire Farms

Possible breeds for the winner: Red Orpingtons, Partridge Barthuners, Double Blue Laced Barnevelders, Bielefelders, New Bloodline Cream Legbars, Blue Partridge Brahmas

*Breed choice will be made by Greenfire Farms depending on availability

Rules:
Open to all BYC members in the Continental U.S.
Maximum of 2 entries per member
No fake editing or Captions - Only hens doing what comes naturally
Must be your picture of your hen and chicks
Deadline for entry is April 6th at midnight PST

Hope your baby makes it!!!
Thanks!

Getting it out of the bator away from the humidity but still isolated will allow the yolk sack to finish drying & absorbing. The higher humidity is keeping everything too wet to do this.
The incubator actually ran dry over night. I thought the same thing this morning, so I didn't add water. I'm relieved that was correct.

Just tried this. It didn't go according to plan :-(
I didn't have a teacup (we use mugs), so I found something similar (don't know what it's called, but it's not much bigger). It went under the heat plate for a few mins to warm up, then I put the chick in. As soon as it saw the other chicks, it tried to climb out, unsuccessfully at first. After a few mins, it got out. As I picked it up to find something else to put it in, my hand felt wet. It seems to have damaged the sack. It doesn't look too bad. There was a bit of blood and yellow, but it's not gushing out. I put it back in the bator on a towel. Should I try again in the brooder? I don't want it to struggle and damage it any further. It's certainly very perky and running around better than I would have expected for a chick only a few hours old. I couldn't get it to hold still!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom