The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ep.gif

wow that's a lot of eggs! What do you have for incubators?

I have two Redwood Cabinet Incubators they are supposed to have a 624 egg capacity each but I find that the eggs turn better with less eggs. By the way they are all hand turned.

Ok, so I have my own temperature dilemma, and it is NOT with my thermometer, which I have double checked with a medical thermometer. I have an older LG Styrobator WITH Fan and I am using the auto turner. It is the older style turner with all the little plastic individual egg holders that snap into metal turning rails on the turner. Anyway, I have my thermometer (which is a digital indoor/outdoor with probe) rigged up so the probe end has 5 threads tied to it and running out the 4 corners of the top of the styrobator and one out the middle front. This way I can gently pull the threads from the outside and move the probe around to test different areas of the incubator without opening it!
big_smile.png

SO, my problem is that now that my 49 eggs are set and up to temp, I am STILL getting large differences in temp from the front to the back corners of the 'bator. For example, I tested it again this afternoon, and on TOP of the eggs, in the Front left corner of the 'bator (with "back" being where the plugs go out and the turner motor is located), the temp registered 101.8º F, but at the same time (or within a minute or two as I moved the probe back) the BACK left corner, again on TOP of the eggs, registered at 98.6ºF!!! If I rest the probe in the middle of the left side, it shows 99.5ºF, again on top of the eggs. This is supposed to be a circulating air incubator, I hear the fan running, WHY are the temps so different???
he.gif

Will this be ok for the eggs? I plan to switch all the eggs to opposite locations in the 'bator when I candle at day 7, but should I do that again sooner, like on day 3 or 4, and then again on day 7, and so on?
hu.gif
That is odd. I know the turner motor generates heat, some say not to set an egg in the closest spot near it for that reason, even with the fan.

I gotta get a phillips screwdriver and open the top, then take this panel off and then take a flathead screwdriver and reach in here and turn the red thingie. pain in the butt
That's interesting, I'll have to open it up after this hatch. It's not mentioned in my manual, and I think that's about where the humidity probe for the humidity pump goes.

That is odd. I know the turner motor generates heat, some say not to set an egg in the closest spot near it for that reason, even with the fan.

Yes, but in this case it is the OPPOSITE side of the incubator - the side Furthest from the turner motor - that is the warmer side!

Quote: Sorry you won't be able to go.

****! My incubator has been steady at 100 for days, and today decides to jump up to 105 with 30 minutes last check. I opened it to cool it down and am still battling it. I hope this didn't kill my eggs - I've been waiting for these marans for a month!
It's the internal temperature on the egg that matters. It would not become an issue in 30 minutes. They will be fine.

I got my eggs set yesterday at noon. Hopefully it will go well. I had to borrow a incubator. Mine goes into lock down this evening with the eggs of my turkey hen who died on the nest.
So sorry you lost your turkey hen.
sad.png

Sorry didn't add that. Its a Mini do it only holds 7. 3 D'anver, 2 Sizzle, 1 d'Uccle, and a polish. Stomach virus hit my son last night so I'm functioning half asleep today.
Hope your son feels better soon.

Quote: I've never had an issue with mine either. I have the Octagon 20.

Can I still participate even tho it is a co-hatch? My friend is incubating at her house do to my marek's outbreak.
1f622.png
If so, we set 48 eggs today at noon. I will post a picture on fri when I go to her house to candle.
Yes you can, it's not too late! Welcome!

I want to join in! I set 12 barnyard mixes Friday at 10pm. I hope it's not too late for me to participate...
6 are Marans x Easter Egger
3 are Easter Egger x Easter Egger
3 are Black Australporp x Easter Egger

Welcome!

I finally have my final count
yippiechickie.gif

I set 275 BYM for a friend on 03/27
6 silver laced Wyandottes on 3/29/14
8 gold Laced Wyandottes on 3/29/14
4 RIR (thrown in with the Wyandottes) 3/29/14
12 Lavender Orps on 3/29/14
2 kansas blues on 3/29/14
12 Rodebars (I think) on 3/29/14
4 mystery eggs on 3/29/14
12 english blue and black orps on 3-30-14
34 BBS Orps on 3-30-14
10 Black Copper Marans on 3/29/14
2 BYM (included to fill carton with the marans) on 3/29/14

For a grand total of 381 eggs set total

Now that is a lot of eggs lol Crazy thing is I still have more room in the incubators lol now when it comes to hatching I might have a little more of a struggle but I picked up something really cool today at a yard sale that I think will help with hatching
Holy cow that's a lot of eggs! What is BYM? Back yard mutts is the only thing I can come up with.
lol.png

Ok, so I have my own temperature dilemma, and it is NOT with my thermometer, which I have double checked with a medical thermometer. I have an older LG Styrobator WITH Fan and I am using the auto turner. It is the older style turner with all the little plastic individual egg holders that snap into metal turning rails on the turner. Anyway, I have my thermometer (which is a digital indoor/outdoor with probe) rigged up so the probe end has 5 threads tied to it and running out the 4 corners of the top of the styrobator and one out the middle front. This way I can gently pull the threads from the outside and move the probe around to test different areas of the incubator without opening it!
big_smile.png

SO, my problem is that now that my 49 eggs are set and up to temp, I am STILL getting large differences in temp from the front to the back corners of the 'bator. For example, I tested it again this afternoon, and on TOP of the eggs, in the Front left corner of the 'bator (with "back" being where the plugs go out and the turner motor is located), the temp registered 101.8º F, but at the same time (or within a minute or two as I moved the probe back) the BACK left corner, again on TOP of the eggs, registered at 98.6ºF!!! If I rest the probe in the middle of the left side, it shows 99.5ºF, again on top of the eggs. This is supposed to be a circulating air incubator, I hear the fan running, WHY are the temps so different???
he.gif

Will this be ok for the eggs? I plan to switch all the eggs to opposite locations in the 'bator when I candle at day 7, but should I do that again sooner, like on day 3 or 4, and then again on day 7, and so on?
hu.gif
They'll be fine. A bit of a temperature difference won't matter.

Quote: Fill it and find out.
tongue.png

I have two Redwood Cabinet Incubators they are supposed to have a 624 egg capacity each but I find that the eggs turn better with less eggs. By the way they are all hand turned.
How long does it take to turn that many eggs?

And with stacking?
hu.gif
I don't know, I'm not a stacker. I search on this site might tell you.

Yes, but in this case it is the OPPOSITE side of the incubator - the side Furthest from the turner motor - that is the warmer side!
Oops, I read it wrong the first time. If it were me, i'd go with your original plan and move them around when you candle. I don't like handling the eggs too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom