The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 7 chicks

I made a short video to get the chick experience!

They are Partridge Penedesencas, UofA blues and UofA Blue x Crele Pene Olive Eggers

vimeo_logo.png

I have been staring at the eggs too much. I keep imaging I am hearing, or sensing, clicking. I also have imagined a couple of very faint chirps. Not persistent, but an occasional, questioning one that is over so quickly I can't even tell which egg. When I was moving them to put the liner down for lockdown, one egg seemed to give a jerk, or tap, as I was holding it.

Oh, I hope they hatch!

fl.gif
fl.gif

Quote: Uh oh. Hope it's okay now.

My last chick that hatched is still attached to its egg by the umbilical... will it just detach on its own or do i need to do something. I know with cats and dogs and such you cut and clamp but i dont know with chickens
It will come off on it's own.

Well, one of my Hal cockatoos is yelling very loudly from within his shell. It's going to drive me crazy! They are worth a lot, are endangered, and are lunatics...The parents jump in and out of the nest box screaming. I don't know how any cockatoos survive. It really is all I can do to leave the eggs in there instead of putting them in the rcom where I feel a little more in control.
On another note.....
In the incubators, it looks like a few more of my horrible air cell eggs are giving up. Possibly, the only eggs that will work are those nice, normal eggs that I let the broodies have!
Wow, you should get a video of that.
big_smile.png
I want to see the Cockatoo craziness!

Mid April and I just woke up to SNOW EVERYWHERE...
barnie.gif
My condolences.

Update on the eggs in the singing incubator from hell (Video taken a few days ago)

When all else fails play more encouraging music?
Cute. When candling, you can see better if you cup your hand around the end of the light so that there isn't much light coming off the sides. The first one certainly had movement. The 2nd doesn't look like it will make it, but it still have veins, so leave it.

You guys are always so chatty!

So its Wednesday morning in the USA and 6 PM in the Phils

HAL eggs went into lockdown.

We have had big storms rroll through with the RH not below 90% for 14 days - 7 of which the dehumidifier was non operational.

We will hatch chicks - I am just not sure how many.

Our roof took damage and here is our pristine beach

Wow. That's a lot of mess!

Ok, so I'm supposed to lock down this morning. I candled and traced air cells...BUT...only a handful of the eggs have "drawn down"...do I still transfer them to the hatcher? Or do I wait for draw down?
Put them in lockdown anyway.

I made a short video to get the chick experience!

They are Partridge Penedesencas, UofA blues and UofA Blue x Crele Pene Olive Eggers
Cute!

It's time to get ready for hatch! (if you haven't already)

Remove the eggs from turners and increase your humidity to 65-70%.
If you see condensation, your humidity it way too high!

Good luck with everyone's hatches!

Today is lockdown day! Out of my 35 chicken eggs that I set, 28 went into lockdown this morning. Pretty good percentage... 4 out of 5, IMO. I had 2 clear, 2 with blood ring, and 3 early quitters.

Now, to watch the wigglers in the next few days! I seem to get most of mine hatching on day 20, the remainder on day 21. We shall see, this time around.

Good luck with the hatching phase, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom