The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DD and Maddy just left to pick up my grandson, Draven and Maddy's BFF, Bella for our HAL sleep over/Easter eggstravaganza. Three 5 year olds all weekend. Mamaw is gonna need a vaca after this.
HA HA HA I need a vacation everyday!!

@ Sally Sunshine I for got to quote you like 5 pages back but the Sick chick is doing great. She decided that 4 times today she would "fly" out of her box and go scream at the others in the big brooder so we put her back in with them. The others were flying out all of the place too. A few perched on top of the brooder looking in the " hospital" box. It was adorable. Still keeping a close eye on her and giving her the electrolytes every couple hours!
oh yay!!!

Ha ha..let me outta here!
LL
how adorable is that pic!

Woke up to 5 little duckies this morning. There are 6 out now and even more hatching. Now if my chickens and turkeys would just hatch.
awwwwww they are adorable!!!

Omg my hatch started last night! One is already out and wobbling around. I have a webcam on it if you'd like to watch: www.youstream.com under Peledreamsofrain.
yesss.gif

Quote: BATOR

Here is a whole family. The rooster is a dun Sumatra.

Close up chicks picture.
you know I love all you flock!

Help! One chick came out and can't put itself up right, looks wrong or ill.... Is there anything I can do?
how long has it hatched?

Quote: me too
hugs.gif

I was so hoping for a blue..I got 3 yellow chipmunks and one white chipmunk..colors.. :D

I still have a lot of viable eggs from silkiesensation ..hoping that the huge air sacs don't cause too much of a problem. I think I will be going into those by the end of day 20..on the worst ones..that have air sacs clear up the side..that's if the chick is still alive by lock down.
LL

what a cute chick!!!

I have a question I hope someone can answer for me. I candled my remaining egg, because the chick has been peeping for 8 hours but no external pip. It looked like it was throwing itself around in there - frantic. I could also see other dark things besides the beak in the air cell. Should I be worried this chick is in the wrong position?
if the others have already hatched and your down to the last few of same breed that already hatch and you notice something wrong make a tiny tiny hole in the air cell and candle and peer in the tiny hole and see if you can see the membrane, everything is int he assist article if you need it!

This is my BLRW chick. I've never hatched them before - does anyone know what color this one will be? I'm assuming not black.

(Edited to add the image
tongue.png
)

Not sure, but I'll say blue laced red.

It's day 18 for my Brinsea Mini Advance. The manual says the turning will stop 2 days before hatch which is. Day 19. I thought lockdown was today the 18 th so I turned off the turner and took the tray out, filled both sides of the water reservoir and put a paper towel in the bottom. Am I doing this right or should I have waited till tommorrow like the manual said?? I set mine on March 31
You did fine!

It's a holiday from school for the kids, so figured since I am working they can get some chores done...

My daughter's chore...

That's funny!

My brooder at the moment: (i still have two full incubators waiting to hatch) Time to move them to the GFQ Battery brooder i think- though they are all bunched in one end trying to get away from me- there is still a ton of room in there
I have 21 chicks written down on my list... but 23 in the brooder...hmmm?

Oh my goodness the fluffy cheeks are killin' me!

love the colors!

one of the Mottled belgian d'anver chicks
yes i am wearing my polkadot pajamas again. hey it was "pajama wednesday" last time I took photos and it is laundry day today... basically any excuse to wear pajamas and I will take it lol

I LOVE the little nobly bump on baby turkeys! its too cute!
Beautiful colors! Congrats!

I'm back from taking the two RIR chicks to my friend's house. Turns out the one I posted the picture of has not only slipped tendons in both legs, but dislocated hip joint as well. There was nothing she could do...she tried everything she could and even put her in a harness, but the injuries were too bad. So she sent her to chick Heaven.

On a happier not, the other RIR is splinted up and doing ok. Turns out his knee/leg joint was dislocated as well, but my friend popped it back in place and Vetrapped the leg up. He's putting weight on that foot now!!!

While I was gone, my mom texted me to let me know one of the eggs hatched. I called her on my way home, and this is pretty much the conversation we had:

Mom: "It was one of the silkie eggs that hatched. But I think there's something wrong with it."

Me: "Oh no, what's wrong with it? I know it took over 24 hours to hatch, so I figured something might be wrong."

Mom: "Well, it's acting ok...it's just...Becca, it has a tumor."

Me: "A tumor?"

Mom: "Yes, a tumor. There's a huge tumor on the top of her head."

roll.png

Apparently, Mama didn't know that Silkies are born with a very tall skull cap.
lau.gif
about your Mom. Sorry that you lost the one chick.

Six have now hatched, I can't get the temp up, and condensation is forming on the windows!!! What do I do?
Open the lid and let some out.

DD and Maddy just left to pick up my grandson, Draven and Maddy's BFF, Bella for our HAL sleep over/Easter eggstravaganza. Three 5 year olds all weekend. Mamaw is gonna need a vaca after this.
You are very brave!

How do you drop humidity besides rice?
Open the lid and let some out.

I have eggs both in the incubator and broody. So far I've got one egg thats hatching in the incubator but not a peep from the eggs under my hen.

What is the general opinion - are hatch rates better with a broody or bator?
I've had great luck with both. And I have had one hen that I'll never again give eggs to - she had her chance last year and blew it, twice. She did great at clucking to her "invisible" chicks though. Overall, I'd say most of the time, the broody will do a superior job.

Woke up to 5 little duckies this morning. There are 6 out now and even more hatching. Now if my chickens and turkeys would just hatch.
Cuties! Congrats!

Doing pretty terrible here...

One cockatoo hatched and is doing good. I had taken him out of the nest right before the second one hatched. The other hatched and was fed twice by the parents and then killed. Cockatoos usually only want to raise one. I guess they liked the first one. Normally I will take the second one out at a few days old. This is quite a loss for us.

The silver pheasant that was pipped had pipped just below the air cell and had fluid all over the place and was very stuck. I freed up his beak and head so he could breathe, but there was still blood so i left him like that. He died last night. He was really weak when I saw what was going on and probably had already sucked in fluid.

Out of the shipped Serama eggs with wonky air cells, they have all quit except one. That one is growing a bit slow for a Serama but does have draw down today. I'll have to keep a close eye on it.

So for this HAL I have one live baby, the cockatoo, (pics soon). And 8 eggs still trying.
Sorry for the 2 lost. I hope the Cockatoos raise the remaining baby okay. I played with a Griffin Cockatoo at the Pet store today.

MY TOTAL...4...WHAT?! OUT OF ALL OF THOSE EGGS! THIS JUST MAY BE MY WORST HATCH EVER! EVER!

I AM PRETTY SURE, TOO WARM IN THAT ROOM, FLUCUATED A LOT WITH THIS SPRING WEATHER CHANGEING SO MUCH. AND, I NOW HAVE TO WONDER ABOUT HUMIDITY.
sad.png
Oh wow. That must have been some really tough shipping! Is there a chance more will hatch?

Finally! No pips but I've got peeping!!!!!!!!!! Hallelujah! I haven't killed them all, yet!!!!!
jumpy.gif

We have a Second chick!
big_smile.png
This one is a BO roo over a DELxBO cross hen. The chick is very golden, it looks like it might get the Buff color. I had to take them out of the incubator pretty quickly because it is quite crowded in there and they were trying to get tangled in the threads holding my thermometer probe up. I watched the humidity and was quick, and it never went down much. We have the two chicks in a plastic tub with our new Premier1 Heat Plate brooder. It seems to be working quite well - this is our first time using it. The chicks seem to be cozy and warm under the plate.

As promised, here are some pictures! Sorry they are not the best quality, and I didn't get one of the first chick in the incubator - my sister has it on her camera.

Top view of first chick in brooder - blue BR x PR

Second chick hatching - look at that big foot!

Here I am!!!
jumpy.gif

Best Buds already!!!
love.gif

And there are 9 more pips in the incubator and 1 chick is pipped out of the 6 HAL eggs under my broody out in the coop! I am SOOOO happy!!!!
wee.gif
yesss.gif
No zero hatch rate for you this year! Congrats!

How come no one ever replies to my posts

This thread moves so fast, it's impossible to reply to every post. I try to respond to the posts I have something to add, or someone needs help with something.

Well.. I now know what Cody was sniffing in the nest. I am heartbroken. I had 7 eggs. There are now 5 eggs. As I cleaned out some poop from the nest, I found this... Warning.. it is a graphic picture!!

It looks like a fully developed chick, but some how the egg was crushed before it was ready. The dried yolk sac is attached. I could not find the other egg. I do have what I think is a pip.

As soon as Rumples returns to the nest, I am blocking to coop. I want her to be safe.. I am so sad.
hit.gif

ReplyQuotehttps://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread/20430# 0
Add a comment? (optional)
Add to ReputationCancel

That is indeed a pip. Sorry about the squished chick. Could there have been a nest box fight?

Help! One chick came out and can't put itself up right, looks wrong or ill.... Is there anything I can do?
How long ago did it hatch? They are quite weak after hatch. I can't see much in your picture, it's blurry.

As far as the missing egg goes, my broody hens, especially ones that have had clutches before, will often eat an egg that wasn't developed or quit early. They know when an egg is dead and see it as a danger to their chicks. When a fully developed chick pips and then dies, you will find under her or pushed out of the nest away from the remaining eggs/chicks.
Yep!

Are you all pulling the chicks from the incubator as they hatch? I have 6 more eggs to go, 4 Marans, and the 6 that are in there are racing around in there.

I pull mine out very quickly after there are several that are mostly dry and walking around. This has been a draggy hatch. My last hatch, I left them all in, and had a temperature spike that killed almost all of them. I'll never do that again. I notice that when I snatch the chicks my humidity drops from 70% down to like 58% and then rapidly comes up. As long as you're fast an only lift one side of the lid long enough to get a hand in and out quickly, I don't think that it is a problem. I've never had a shrink wrapped chick before. My hatch rates usually run 85%+

How come no one ever replies to my posts
I'm sorry. I don't think anyone means to not respond. I read a lot and don't respond much. Keep posting because we are reading!! That doesn't look like a blood ring to me!!
Here is a whole family. The rooster is a dun Sumatra. Close up chicks picture.
beautiful family
Unfortunately... I feel as though I am running out of both. Come on eggs!!! Give me something!!!
Me too, not one pip yet!
I've got pups, I mean pips!!!! Hooray!!!!!!
That's great
thats really cool, maybe I need ducks

I pull mine out very quickly after there are several that are mostly dry and walking around.  This has been a draggy hatch.  My last hatch, I left them all in, and had a temperature spike that killed almost all of them.  I'll never do that again.  I notice that when I snatch the chicks my humidity drops from 70% down to like 58% and then rapidly comes up.  As long as you're fast an only lift one side of the lid long enough to get a hand in and out quickly, I don't think that it is a problem.  I've never had a shrink wrapped chick before.  My hatch rates usually run 85%+

I pull mine out when they're dry. I keep warm water near the incubator if I need to add any, but the humidity rarely drops that low. The humidity recovers very quickly in my bator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom