The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry so much. 102.7 will not kill them. The temps should stabilize soon. It is normal for the temps to be odd on the first day.

I set my first batch the end of February,my ducklings hatched 2 out of 3 :)
I kept the temperature at 90 to 93 the whole time :) Metzer farm said a low temperature is better than too high!

Thank you both. I will keep working with it and hope for the best :)

:hit   I candled my eggs and broke one.  8 day old embryo.  :hit

Aww, I'm so sorry! I have dropped an egg before on day 10 and killed the embryo. Yeah, I bawled. Unfortunately, accidents happen. *hugs*

I set my first batch the end of February,my ducklings hatched 2 out of 3 :)
I kept the temperature at 90 to 93 the whole time :) Metzer farm said a low temperature is better than too high!
i have not read anywhere on metzers site or scientific papers suggesting temps that low.

typically such low temps will cause major hatch delays and a high incidence of deformed chicks.

I have three thermometers, the digital one had a a probe as well as a moniter tempature thing. Both say 99F, but my two other older liquids thermometers are at like 105F-110F. What should I trust?

I set 24- Easter Eggs from which 5 were green the others were all blue...I also set 6 OEGB red Pyle/Black mixed and followed up with 38 barnyard mixes...some of which will be EE-EE others could be Silkie Crosses...this is my first hatch with these birds...
1f603.png

I have three thermometers, the digital one had a a probe as well as a moniter tempature thing. Both say 99F, but my two other older liquids thermometers are at like 105F-110F. What should I trust?

Hi Peep,

You might look into calibrating them and or testing them using liquid w/ice...
I had four thermometers and trusted none of them. Lol.

If there is anyone in the southern New Hampshire area that wants to join the hatch a long but doesn't have eggs lined up yet, I should have 2-3 dozen mixed breed eggs that are available for pick up only. All hens are an assortment of breeds laying an assortment of egg colors, males covering them are Cream Legbar and Black Copper Marans. Female chicks that hatch could lay a variety of egg colors ranging from blue, green, olive, and browns ranging from light brown-chocolate brown. I guess we could call it a rainbow assortment. I am also NH NPIP.

PM me if there is interest.

Reposting in case anyone from my area is still looking for eggs for tomorrows set day.

I've been collecting the rounder eggs from my hens who lay different shape, size, and shade of eggs every day. I want to see if it is possible to create a egg sex link breed don't know if it is possible but worth the try.

I think this is fiction. The shape of the egg laid is based on the breed of the hen and also each individual hen herself. My hens depending on breed lay either round, oval, long, short, pointy etc. The egg shape each individual hen lays is generally the same everyday.

My Spitzhaubens eggs are long skinny and pointy on one end. My Marans eggs are somewhat ovalish with both ends rounded. My Cochins eggs are smaller and rounded on one end pointy on the other, Cream Legbar very rounded eggs wider on the top end. My hens lay almost the same shape each day and is still the same shape from when they laid 2 years ago. And each hatch no matter the shape I can expect to be 50/50 male/female.

I suppose it is a good experiment to try but Im pretty sure it is just fiction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom