The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still waiting on my geese! They are wiggling a lot. We have 4 out of 5 in lockdown so we will see! They were shipped from Tennessee to Alaska so this is very exciting!
I have a goose egg from CA in my incubator that was lost in the mail for 10 days and then if you count the days gathering and the day to let it come to room temp It is about 14-15 days since it was laid! I went ahead and put all five in the bator and this one is actually viable! It is about a week behind the above goose eggs! Just a good reminder not to give up on shipped eggs until you are sure they are bad!

Oh my, just when I thought my hatch was complete late last night on the 23 day -------------------------- I put my Pocket Talker into the Bator to listen for peeps, turned off the incubator, and opened the lid to air out. A lot of lifeless eggs were staring up at me this AM, and the temperature was in the 70's. I started gathering up the eggs that didn't hatch and was being thankful that there were no pipped eggs that didn't hatch (I hate that) ----and that none had exploded overnight. And then I felt a little rough spot on the the egg I was about to pitch. It was a pip. Well, I wanted to see if i could learn something about why it didn't zip or hatch, so I zipped the top part of the shell around the air cell, and there was some blood. The cap popped right off, though, and there was a fully formed blue and white silkie inside. Wait a minute, was that movement? Yes, it was! Yikes, I better put it back into the Incubator. So I turned the Bator back on and popped him back in, shell and all - which he has since popped off - and he has started peeping in between naps. If he lives, I am sure he will be a reminder to me that miracles happen. What do you think? He is napping at this very minute but looking better all the time. (My OTHER Assist, though is looking like something out of PET SEMETARY) I am amending my FINAL hatch: 3 Silkies and 8 Light Sussex for a grand total of 11. Amen

We are FINALLY getting some snow!
woot.gif
Northern CA has been in an extreme drought, and we've had very little snow all winter. It's not sticking yet, but it is snowing like crazy!
wee.gif
I'll take every bit of water we can get!

What? What part of Cal. do you live in? I wonder if this means we are in for it. Will have to check that weather! Glad you are getting some moisture, that's how we felt when we got a few days of rain here recently.
yippiechickie.gif

Just got my answer at to where you are in my catching up.
wink.png

Last edited:
Update: We have a hole in a blue egg!!! they are a bit loud too... I can ALMOST hear them over the TV. How Much Longer do you think It will be so I can get my brooder ready???

ron was saying that those EE's are noisy little ones. Or is it an Ameraucana? Probably the same way. Congrats..hopefully though, the little stink will quiet down once it hatches. It's just so excited to get outta there!

Get your broody ready now!

Last edited:
What? What part of Cal. do you live in? I wonder if this means we are in for it. Will have to check that weather! Glad you are getting some moisture, that's how we felt when we got a few days of rain here recently.
yippiechickie.gif

Just got my answer at to where you are in my catching up.
wink.png
Yep, I'm sure its headed your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom