The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.

One of my cute NN babies. I can't explain the color, you can see the yellow and black, but there is a smokey color in there too. Guessing the yellow will be white.

Last edited:
It came from a cream colored egg. I had a black one come from a big blue egg..a pretty blue. Hope it's a girl.

This is the first time I am using broodies, but that is what I did. When she tried to leave the nest the chicks wouldn't follow because of the drop. So, I moved the nest box to the floor of the coop. Now, there are no more issues.
Thanks! My nest is on the floor of the coop, but the coop is off the ground a couple feet so I am afraid the chicks will fall oout of the coop into the run and get too cold, is that an issue or do they not go out of the coop itself if their mom is inside with food and water in the coop?

Someone mentioned me saying good night..haven't in a while...so....really do hope that all have a

Twinkling-Good-Night-Graphic.gif

And for those just reading this in the morning.....
good-morning-66.gif

Last edited:
Thanks! My nest is on the floor of the coop, but the coop is off the ground a couple feet so I am afraid the chicks will fall oout of the coop into the run and get too cold, is that an issue or do they not go out of the coop itself if their mom is inside with food and water in the coop?
You should move the nest into the run then. Provide some protection from direct wind. Broody mama can do the rest.

Last edited:
Quote: It looks fine.

You are saying pretty much what another person said when I asked if she had seen it, she also keeps bees, plus, she says, how do you know that you aren't squashing bees when you turn that?
Wanting some fresh honey. Sounds yummy, and it helps with a cough~! How come I didn't think of that sooner?
The flipping of the frames happens from the back side of the frame, so you wouldn't squish bees. The cappings are between the bees and the honey. But, they say that the bees will remove the cappings when they notice there is no honey behind it. I'm just not convinced.

Our sole survivor of the hatch along. Lost 6 out of 7. I fear it's a lil roo, but a cute lil one! It's an Australorp. :)
That is going to be one spoiled chick!

One of my cute NN babies. I can't explain the color, you can see the yellow and black, but there is a smokey color in there too. Guessing the yellow will be white.
Interesting colors!

Quote: I barricade my broodies in with their babies for the first week. This gives them a private area to bond, and the rest of the flock to adjust to them being there. Then at a week old, I let them out. It usually takes a few days for the hen to take them outside, and most of the time, they can figure out the ramp. I do go out at dusk and make sure all got in, and if not, go find the baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom