The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Checking on my NYD HAL chicks, while doing my requisite walking. Some of them are pretty naked so i ground up some dog food for them. Higher protein might help speed their feathers up. I think 25 was a bit too many under the heat plate, even tho i got the biggest one. Sold all but 10 so not so crowded now.

In other news my one hen that went broody is sitting on ABOUT 22 eggs. Thats all i could count without digging them up.

The only problem is ,she's a bantam cross ! She can't cover all of them !

But she's trying ! I go in occasionally and push the straw up around her.

Ok... Been up for 5 hours. One solid zip and 4 nice looking pips.... Yes before you ask I've been driving myself crazy checking them...
1f602.png
1f602.png
And that timer is for the last few I added. 2 days after the first ones.

It is with much dread that I report I will not be able to participate in the Hatch-A-Long. This past weekend a predator killed my only Roo
barnie.gif
. Not just my roo but my two easter eggers as well. Fortunately I had just hatched some eggs and I am pretty sure one of them is a roo (only 2 weeks old) but it will be a while before he is big enough to keep the girls safe.

Hopefully next year.

So sorry to hear that.
sad.png
Could you possibly get some eggs from someone else? Maybe then you could get a few hens new hens to the mix.
In other news my one hen that went broody is sitting on ABOUT 22 eggs. Thats all i could count without digging them up.
The only problem is ,she's a bantam cross ! She can't cover all of them !
But she's trying ! I go in occasionally and push the straw up around her.

That's hilarious! My hens will do that too!

Warning: When they keep turning the eggs out from under them all the eggs eventually die from cooling off over and over. I had this problem, and only 2 out of like 12 eggs hatched so you might want to take some away before they begin developing and either toss them (as I did a few weeks ago) or put them in the incubator (as I did a few days ago). I don't like to not let chicks have a chance to hatch, but if the momma tries to hatch them you generally just get a an egg full of green slop! (trust me, that is very, very disgusting).

Best of luck!
smile.png

It is with much dread that I report I will not be able to participate in the Hatch-A-Long. This past weekend a predator killed my only Roo
barnie.gif
. Not just my roo but my two easter eggers as well. Fortunately I had just hatched some eggs and I am pretty sure one of them is a roo (only 2 weeks old) but it will be a while before he is big enough to keep the girls safe.

Hopefully next year.

I'm so sorry. Breaks my heart when i lose one of mine so i feel your pain. If you were close we could have a play date, I have 2 EE roos, an English Lav Orp, and 2 BCM. Your hens could take their pick of the eye candy here.
hugs.gif

barnie.gif

Hopefully next year.
I've seen them offered all the time on craigslist, if you really wanted a big one now.

:hugs
Is this at me?? @LocalYokel

Course it is!
:weee

Awwww, thank you Local. :hugs

Just too much stuff going on and I was on the reserve tank. Then it ran out. :gig I crawled back to my cave and have been recharging the batteries. I'm just starting to peek back out...lol.
1f604.png

Today hubby and I are on a 8 hour round trip to his surgeon. :th:th

Back
Top Bottom