The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Has it been like this since he hatched? If so it could be any number of things. Might have been from incubation or could be genetic or it could be from a deficiency of some kind when he was little.

It's always been like that since I got him at 3 days old last year. He still perches and walks but when he runs its kind of a gallop. He's pretty sweet and I don't think it hurts. I hold him and play with his weird feet and he doesn't seem to care. Just wondering if I should worry about it

It's 2am and my chicken coop is in smolderes. Fire killed 16 3 week olds. I'm depressed now. NEVER PUT A HEATLAMP , even 1 with emergency shut off, in a coop.

Omg I'm so sorry. If probably be sitting out next to the smoldering coop bawling.

It's always been like that since I got him at 3 days old last year. He still perches and walks but when he runs its kind of a gallop. He's pretty sweet and I don't think it hurts. I hold him and play with his weird feet and he doesn't seem to care. Just wondering if I should worry about it
I would think it was some type of deficiency from when he was incubating. If it doesn't seem to affect him than I wouldn't worry about it. Not sure what your plans are for him but I wouldn't breed him either just in case it is something genetic.

Please don't. I can't get the image of those tiny bodies out of my head. I was sick last night due to everything that happened this week and forgot to close the door to the run. That is the only thing that saves my adults. They could get out.

As for the heater. I had the one with a safety flip device but firefighter says it happened so fast it didn't have time to kick in.

Thank you all for the well wishes. I'm just trying to minimize the chance of my kids seeing it. We will clean up and try to build a new coop this weekend before they notice.

Going to be hard. I'm already crying again just thinking about it. My entire Val hatch is dead, my coop is gone and my older birds are terrified but thankfully seem unharmed. I'll let them calm down and check them later today. Any suggestions if any have burns??
That's awful.
hugs.gif

I'm so glad that your adult birds are okay. It is best to check the birds as soon as possible. If there are any burns, you don't need to put ointment unless the skin has broken. (Plain Neosporin WITHOUT analgesic) If blisters form, don't pop them. (separate so the others don't peck). Flush with cool water if it is noticed promptly, other than that just watch for signs of infection and treat with antibiotics if that pops up.

Woohoo!! I have a first PIP on my test hatch tray!!!! It is one of the Ameraucana x Leghorn eggs!!
celebrate.gif
Can't wait to see what they will look like!

I have the humidity at 65% right now - BYC hatching veterans - do you think that 65% is safe for now or should I try and get it higher? I would rather not go TOO high because of the staggered hatch eggs in the upper trays, but I want the hatching babies to be safe. I know they will raise the humidity higher when they start hatching also. Any thoughts?
hu.gif
65% is great, leave it alone.

Well ladies and gents had a pretty crazy day here. The wind here was absolutely horrendous today and we need to check our roof in the light tomorrow. Anything that wasn't buried or nailed down blew or just about blew away. Lol I think we may need a new yard thermometer. Lol

Okay now for the update. Went out to check the broodies and Ginger was on the wrong nest, she was set on the 11th and wouldn't you know it there were two extra eggs in her nest and two of her eggs are missing. The other eggs have yolk on them.
sad.png

My guess is the wyandotte that layed in the nest accidentally broke the eggs and a feeding frenzy ensued. There was nothing left of them. I'm thanking God they were that early still but I'm very bummed even though Ginger isn't participating in the hatch-a-long BC she is my favorite silkie(don't tell the others) and she so wants to be a Mommy. She has been doing great up until now, but the eggs were cold. We candled and I think the two that are still out there may have been clears but I'm not 100% so I left those two under her. The other two I knew were developing so I brought them in the house and put them in the incubator. I will candle again tomorrow and if they're alive I'll give them back to her.

But idk what to do about the egg yolk should I gently try to clean it off? I knew these eggs were a long shot anyway BC they're my black oegb, Minnie's, first eggs but I do so want some of her babies. If the eggs don't survive I will probably reset Ginger as we have two more of Minnie's eggs found today but I guess we'll see. Other than the odd extra egg here and there we have had no problems with our broodies at all they will even kick the other birds out of the nest usually.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Yes, I would clean the eggs off. I have found that eggs get broken when another hen squeezes into the nest to lay and the broody is trying to hold tight to her eggs.
It's 2am and my chicken coop is in smolderes. Fire killed 16 3 week olds. I'm depressed now. NEVER PUT A HEATLAMP , even 1 with emergency shut off, in a coop.
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry.

Quote: Agree here. Vetericyn might help too as it's a wound healing spray.

Back
Top Bottom