The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

7 made it to lockdown. None of the orp eggs were fertile. -7, and 4 quit early. So out of 18, I got 7!! I was a pure blrw from a pullet I just got and it looks like a blue! The rest are mutts from mine!I have all my birds separated now, and next hatch will all be pure!

How long should I leave unhatched eggs in the bator before discarding them?
One day after the last one hatches, I check for signs of life.

Chirping, movement when candling and etc. If I see signs of life, I will poke a hole into the big end to see if I can get something going.

If I do not see signs of life, I open up the eggs to see if I can tell what killed them.

I had one more chick hatch yesterday. It was pipped at the bottom, so I didn't notice it until it was almost done hatching. After spending several hours in the incubator it still had not gained control/use of one leg. It passed away this morning. 6 eggs DIS.
Out of 27 eggs set, only 12 hatched. Not too shabby, considering that most of the eggs were pullet eggs.

5 barred, 4 black, and 3 yellow with partridge markings.

Hatch went well here! Started Friday morning and the 32nd chick made her way out this morning. I did loose one that was just too weak, but the 31 left are healthy and happy!
big_smile.png

My official count is 13 out of 40. 10 got fried in my other bator, which left 30 in my Brinsea. Out of the 30 in my Brinsea, only 21 were fertile; one died at around day 10 and one died at around day 14. So technically 13/19 that made it into lockdown hatched. Not my best hatch. But they sure are cute!!

Back
Top Bottom