The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

So I had 3 marked for this weekend. I had 2 yesterday & one this morning!
The one that pipped but died in shell upside down was marked for Tuesday.
So, for the 3 set for this weekend, I had 3 hatch! I officially love this R•Com.

All 8 in lock-down as of 2 hrs ago. Kids have a hatching get together on Friday. Hopefully, they hatch on time!
Here are my results so far. 9 Set- 8 went to lockdown. 5 hatched on Friday, 3 still on Day 23. One has a big drawn air cell, I will intervene tonight and leave the remaining two on their fate.

The only Legbar egg turned out to be a Choc Orp x White Legbar hybrid pullet. I am calling it a Barpington.

Out of the remaining 4, two are Orp x Black Australorp hybrids. They will be black cuckoo boys

The other two are choc cuckoo orpingtons 1 looks like a boy and the other girl to me but not so sure.

Here are the pics:

Barpington-1

Barpington-2

All 5 together- Bar-pington on top, Black Cuckoo hybrids on the sides and Choc Cuckoo Orpingtons in the middle.

My eggs got set late.

But I have 2 pips out of 7 that I put in lockdown.

Saw good movement in at least 4 last night when I candled. Dark eggs are tough.

So maybe tomorrow I will have baby welsummer

Hey Mike, my final hatch count is 13.
I started 30 eggs, 17 went into lockdown. I did eggtopsies on the four that didn't hatch. Two BCMs were in the wrong position so couldn't pip. Another BCM pipped internally but never externally; felt really bad about this one and wish I had intervened sooner. The other DIS was a silkie that was in position with it's beak pressed against the internal membrane, so sad.
hit.gif

I am very happy to have the 12 healthy chicks, but I have one silkie with wry neck. I ground up one of my multivitamins (containing selenium and vit E along with others), made a solution and have been dosing the chick every couple hours. I'm also giving it a little boiled egg yolk with vit E mixed in. It does seem to help but wears off in a couple hours.

The hatch includes one EE/SF ,five silkies, one polish, two Buff Orp, one SF/Cochin, two FBCM and one CC Orp.

I am so bummed at the results from my ameraucana eggs. 1/3 I expected from the Dominique eggs, but 1 healthy survivor out of 9 eggs sucks.
Lost 2 of my ameraucana chicks in the last 30 min and it's only a matter of time for the third weak one. Two of them were assist hatches, too weak to do the job and has curled toes. One had wry neck and splayed legs. Of the 9 eggs, two were blood rings, two quit, and one drowned (saddle shaped aircell). Sure wish the other 4 had been healthy.
Ended up with 1 Dominique and 1 black Ameraucana, both pullets I think. My lone ameraucana cockerel is trying to decide whether he'll make it or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom