The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Ok, so one of my little guys is way different (black and yellow with feathers on the leg) than the other and I am pretty sure he is not a Lavender Orpington. I ordered lavender eggs, is that something I should email and complain about it is Lavender one that doesn't always breed true so not something the seller could help??

Last edited:
Good morning!! I didn't get eggs labeled fertile, just free range, cage free. Zero of mine were fertile. I was told to look for ones marked fertile.
99% of eggs at the grocery store are infertile. Egg farms simply won't bother to keep roosters. It just doesn't make any sense for them to keep non-productive birds. Hens lay whether there are roosters around or not. Only a few places have fertile eating eggs, and they are specially labeled.

Thanks and will do! She is up stumbling around the bator. Though it seems like egg goo has dried around her eyes and she can't open them. Should I wash with a warm damp cloth, or wait it out and hope it falls off?
Use a q-tip and warm water. Be careful not to get water in/on the nasal opening as the chick can aspirate the water and that's not helpful.

Last edited:
I was calling this hatch a scratch. 21 days was at noon yesterday. No movement. No pips no noise. Figured I'd give them a couple days and then scratch it

Got home from Easter with my family and I can hear peeping from the incubator. I only see one pip but it sure is a vocal little chick. Yea!!! Maybe they're just gonna be a couple days late. Lol

Yay! Make sure you increase your temps on your next hatch, it is too low.

That is so awesome!
I'm sorry, but don't give up.
How long has she been separated? Is she within view of the flock?
As soon as possible.

No. And probably for a month.

Then I'd wait until the babies are featured and larg enough to integrate into your flock. Mama hen will have to reintegrate also.

I set 8 shipped lavender Orpington eggs, 3 showed movement at lockdown. So far I have 2 babies and one pip that's been trying to zip all day. It's beak is sticking out of the hole and I can see it breathing. It started piping lengthwise at first, so I'm going to give it the night and and see if it's out. But I'm pretty happy to have my little fluffy butts!!

What color is the membrane? If it's brown or clear looking, the chick is stuck. White is good.

How long does it take for the eggs to complete the hatching process from pip to out of the egg and do they usually hatch at night or something :confused:

If you are watching, forever! It just depends. Sometimes they hatch fast, other times the rest for a while. It can be 24 hours from pip to zipping.

When are our final counts due? I have 48 so far. A few more pipped.

We are hoping to have them all in by the end of the week. Some people are still hatching.

What about the EMU???? Anybody know???

@Asever1
we need an update!!! 

Ditto! Emu update please! @Asever1

Sorry I've been AWOL these past few days. My dads doing worse. More damage from the strokes than thought. I'm so tired.

I'm sorry he is not doing well.

Iodine or betadine on the wound so that others won't pick at it, will also help to disinfect it.

Thanks and will do! She is up stumbling around the bator. Though it seems like egg goo has dried around her eyes and she can't open them. Should I wash with a warm damp cloth, or wait it out and hope it falls off?

Take a Q tip and get it wet. Gently dab it on the eye to loosen the goo and it will open. It the chick is crunchy, don't worry about bathing it, it will fluff up in a few days. But definitely get the eyes unstuck.

Okay, thanks for the qtip idea! I know it can take a while for the goop to get off and I just leave it be if it's on their feathers, but I didn't think that was good for her eyes. I'll deffinately get it fixed!

Back
Top Bottom