The African and Chinese goose thread!!

My gander is still not being cooperative. Now he hisses at me and still bites and flogs me. I can not be alone with him. Somebody has to control him with me. I sat on him once to control him, and that works a little. I do not know what to do.

Like jchny2000 said you have to keep it up. Take the broom with you when your out with the geese and when he flogs [or tries] don't even let him touch you, pop him good with the broom, Not to injure him but just to let him know he cannot touch you in the manner he wants too.
This is very typical behavior not anything out of norm honest. They are just acting like protective ganders during breeding season. But you need to reinforce his training everyday, and not let him get the advantage. I am dealing with 2 gander this season and let me tell you so far neither have learned so it's everyday here go out side to give extra food or just walk in their area they think they have to chase me away, but I do not let them get away with it. . It will all be over by end of May so just try to keep on with training.

Peepers getting his (or her) rub down after bath. Rotten goose.

My geese mate on dry ground too and they have fertile eggs. Have you cracked any open to check? it's easier for them to mate in deeper water and to be more successful though .

The behavior your talking about sounds pretty typical for breeding season the females can be pretty bold with the ganders. and missing feathers is normal. They will molt early summer and look good as new again.
Maybe you can deepen the water in their pool for them.
Ok,thank you so much! I've never seen him try to mate with her on the ground,only in water,so that's why I thought they weren't fertile. I did cook a couple of the eggs,they weren't fertile,but they were delicious.

So... What do I need to know about raising geese? I have 2 African Dewlap eggs going in the incubator this weekend. I have ducks currently. But these will be my first geese.

Is this pair of geese Brown Chinese, African, or mix? I see some dewlap on the gander, but he has a long neck and likes to stand very upright. The goose doesn't have dewlap.

I think he's handsome... maybe I should hatch some of his fertilized eggs.

Back
Top Bottom