The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Sooo I have a brown Chinese hen sitting on duck eggs, she shoved the broody Swedish duck right off the nest and took them! She added 6 of her own goose eggs so far. crazy to still have a goose laying in August! Candled the first egg laid and its infertile, guessing the rest will be also. At least she will have some ducklings to raise! Most of these will be pekin mix, the hen was a "give up" brought here about 2 months ago, along with some ducklings and mixed drakes. I have had the ducks brought here in quarantine in my grow up pen (currently empty), and she went broody on eggs. Both of my youngest goose hens seem to really like ducklings.

Sooo I have a brown Chinese hen sitting on duck eggs, she shoved the broody Swedish duck right off the nest and took them! She added 6 of her own goose eggs so far. crazy to still have a goose laying in August! Candled the first egg laid and its infertile, guessing the rest will be also. At least she will have some ducklings to raise! Most of these will be pekin mix, the hen was a "give up" brought here about 2 months ago, along with some ducklings and mixed drakes. I have had the ducks brought here in quarantine in my grow up pen (currently empty), and she went broody on eggs. Both of my youngest goose hens seem to really like ducklings.
I think they just like babies. lol but how sweet to have more babies coming. I wish I had room for more my girls would have ducklings coming out of the wood work.

I still have round 3 with Huey, my scovy hatching in 3 weeks, and found another nest started by my black scovy hen today, 3rd nest for her too! Its crazy this year. Laying seasons are really out of schedule. I have a long waiting list for muscovy ducklings so am very happy to see more being laid.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Aww but you love duckies
lau.gif
Just let momma do the job.

Hooray for more baby geese for those eggs sitting... or at least little duckies.
Especially little scovy duckies!

It was a couple of days before I could get pics due to Florida thunderstorms lasting all day for a couple, rather than just the normal afternoons.
But today was beautiful; REALLY hot, but beautiful... so I got pics!

It's hot out... everyone in the pool!

Ahhhh... that's better. =D

The fuzz is very nearly all gone... they grow so fast!

As you can see in the last photo the goose nearest in the pic is getting orangey around the bill... so I'm just going to go ahead and assume at this point that they are chinese-african crosses, with a white parent accounting for the orange in the bill and the white chest collars.
Love them regardless.
love.gif

Out of the three, the oldest one with the white chest(the front goose in the pic) and the younger with the white are pretty close to equal in size now. The all brown one is definitely getting bigger than the other two.
Is it possible to assume that this means I have two geese and one gander from their size at this point?

Last edited:
Another 'clue' I noticed today in my three little geese... the two with white chests both have a flattened top to their bill, where it ends at the face. On the larger all brown one it is a narrow ridge all the way to the top, and appears to have the start of a teeny tiny little knob.
So my hopes that I have gotten a single male and two females out of these three seems to be getting closer to being solved.
fl.gif

If it does end up being true I assume two of them will really bond, and the other goose will be a third wheel until I can get her a partner. Fingers crossed... I would then order two male and one female sexed Super Africans to make the pairs even out, and add a pair of nicer, heavier, birds to pair up without being as mixed.
Really, I'm just looking forward to raising more sweet little fuzzies.
wink.png

Hooray for more baby geese for those eggs sitting... or at least little duckies.
Especially little scovy duckies!

It was a couple of days before I could get pics due to Florida thunderstorms lasting all day for a couple, rather than just the normal afternoons.
But today was beautiful; REALLY hot, but beautiful... so I got pics!

It's hot out... everyone in the pool!

Ahhhh... that's better. =D

The fuzz is very nearly all gone... they grow so fast!

As you can see in the last photo the goose nearest in the pic is getting orangey around the bill... so I'm just going to go ahead and assume at this point that they are chinese-african crosses, with a white parent accounting for the orange in the bill and the white chest collars.
Love them regardless.
love.gif

Out of the three, the oldest one with the white chest(the front goose in the pic) and the younger with the white are pretty close to equal in size now. The all brown one is definitely getting bigger than the other two.
Is it possible to assume that this means I have two geese and one gander from their size at this point?
Another 'clue' I noticed today in my three little geese... the two with white chests both have a flattened top to their bill, where it ends at the face. On the larger all brown one it is a narrow ridge all the way to the top, and appears to have the start of a teeny tiny little knob.
So my hopes that I have gotten a single male and two females out of these three seems to be getting closer to being solved.
fl.gif

If it does end up being true I assume two of them will really bond, and the other goose will be a third wheel until I can get her a partner. Fingers crossed... I would then order two male and one female sexed Super Africans to make the pairs even out, and add a pair of nicer, heavier, birds to pair up without being as mixed.
Really, I'm just looking forward to raising more sweet little fuzzies.
wink.png
They are too precious! You may have a trio which isn't bad at all. Once one hen goes broody, he will hang out with the non brooding hen. I do think the super african are just gorgeous too. They are close as you can get without finding a breeder. Watch for a longer, thicker neck, heavier longer legs in your babies, thats your gander. Once they have the adult voices you will know for sure.

So I have a question! I just butchered my African Gander and I found 9 orange balls in him. What are they? I know they are not testicals.

Back
Top Bottom